Chapter 5: Call it a truce

Start from the beginning

-"Connor..."—Lisa said once more, still smiling—"I also read literature, and I am no stranger to Oliver Twist. Dickens is one of the greats, after all, despite how close-minded he was on his novels. I mean he really didn't like Jewish people from what Fagin acts in that book, don't you think? But that's beside the point entirely. Can we please try the truth, now?"

Connor crossed his arms and looked at her with despise.

-"What's the point?"—he asked—"You've read my file. You know more about me than myself."

Lisa nodded quietly. She seemed sort of satisfied with that answer, which Connor found strange.

-"Well, I like it when people are open like that, Connor, that's what we're trying to do here."—she said—"And, I'm a firm believer that we can only discuss what we want to discuss, or in this case, you. So unless you want to share your story with me, then we'll move on to something else."

Connor laughed at her naivety. This was going to be a piece of cake.

-"Well in that case we won't be discussing my 'story' anytime soon."—he said sarcastically.

-"Oh, it all gets out eventually."—Lisa said—"Well, then. I guess this means we'll have to tackle other matters at hand for now. Let's say... what about the fight? What can you tell me about that?"

Connor's laughter died off immediately and then looked at her seriously. This matter was a lot more sensitive, since it concerned Alexis, and he decided couldn't screw up with this one. He gently caressed the silver wrist watch on his left hand with his right sweaty palm, like he always did when nervous or upset.

-"A kid was bullying Alexis."—Connor said in a whisper—"So I put him in his place. I stand my ground."

-"And I'm glad to hear that."—Lisa said—"What Tyde did was wrong, and there had to be consequences, yes—but it's not your place to decide how other children need to face those consequences. When given a choice, we educators never opt for violence."

-"I'm not an educator. I'm Alexis'..."

Connor went quiet for a second. He always did when it came to giving his relationship with Alexis a name.

-"... friend. I'm her friend."—Connor concluded—"And we've always stuck by each other. I'm not going to sit around when I can defend her."

-"Yeah, no kidding!"—Lisa said, checking some of the papers on her table—"It says here she and you have been sent to every foster home together for the past ten years. She must be like family to you."

-"Don't use that word."—Connor said, earning a glance of surprise from Lisa—"... Please, just..."

He was unable to finish the request, but Lisa got the point.

-"Ok..."—she said—"So, from now on we're calling Alexis your... friend?"

-"... Yes I would... prefer it that way."

Lisa nodded. Connor wasn't about to go around telling her everything there was to know about him, but it had just been fifteen minutes since the start of the conversation and, unbeknownst to him, she had already dragged out plenty of information, and a very valid one, too. She was good. Maybe the whole background he had made up in his head about her wasn't that fake after all.

After the remaining forty five minutes came and went, the two were left with nothing but the sound of the bell to announce lunch. Connor had no classes on Wednesdays' noon, so that meant he was going to meet Lisa every Wednesday on said time. Something told him that it was only going to get harder not to open up to her eventually.