Chapter Thirty

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Want to tell me about it?" He asks, walking towards me now.

"No," I mutter. "You wouldn't like it."

He sighs, standing before me, looking very attractive in the dim sunlight. It almost brings me out of my frustration for a moment. Almost. "Let's go for a walk."

I don't resist. We begin down a new path, and the sky begins to turn dark. Owen doesn't press me for information yet, and I'm glad. I think I need to stop fuming before I talk about my conversation.

I try not to be bothered, but it's hard not to notice. Owen hasn't reached to grab my hand like he always does, and he doesn't seem like he's planning to. His are both in his pockets. Should I worry about that?

"We should talk," Owen says.

"What?" I gasp. My eyes widen. Those are never good words to start a conversation with. It can only mean one thing. One thing I've been dreading.

"C'mon, let's go sit on that bench," he says, looking anxious. He runs a hand through his hair, not looking at me once.

I follow him over there, my heart racing. There's no way he could be doing what I think he is, could he? I bite my lip in anticipation. We sit down with a good foot between each other and I notice that space like it's a brick wall.

"Why don't you talk first," he says with a sigh.

"About what?" I ask.

"Why you're so angry," he says.

"Right," I frown. He's stalling. "Well... My mom and I got into a huge argument. And I left."

"That's a bit vague," Owen raises an eyebrow.

"She told me I can't leave the house because it's too dangerous," I say. "She's treating me like a child."

"Brinley," he sighs. "She's being protective. She cares about you."

I gawk at him. "You too?"

"It's her motherly instinct to keep you near her," he says, looking sad. "I would do it too. In fact, I have been taking closer watch of you."

I scowl at him, feeling very annoyed. "Jonathan's dead. I have nothing to be worried about."

Owen looks highly uncomfortable, hand rubbing the back of his neck. "Right, well, don't be too certain."

"That's not all she said," I interrupt him. "She said you're the reason Jonathan kidnapped me."

"Because I am," he says simply. "I already told you that."

"It's not true!" I exclaim. "I went and got myself kidnapped!"

"But I didn't stop it from happening," Owen says. "I wasn't there in time. I couldn't save you. You had no protection from him and that's my fault."

"No protection?" I frown. "I can protect myself just fine!"

"No, you can't," Owen says, and I can tell his patience isn't going to last much longer. "I've gotten you out of every mess you've been in."

"You know what? You're exactly right. I'm just a helpless little girl, aren't I? In constant need." I stand up and start backing away, anger fuming inside me.

"I didn't say that," Owen looks annoyed. "You've got to calm down or you're going to hurt yourself."

"I need to calm myself?" I yell back.

"Yes, you do," he says, voice returning to a normal volume. "You're acting reckless."

"There it is again! I'm too troublesome, aren't I? Always getting myself into a sticky situation I can't pull myself out of? And you're tired of always having to pull me out? Is that right?" I yell.

"Brinley," Owen says. "Come on. I need you to cool off so I can talk to you."

"Is that why you're breaking up with me? Because you've finally realized I'm more trouble than I'm worth? That maybe next time you'll just let me get kidnapped because it's too-"

"Who said I'm breaking up with you, Brinley?" Owen stares at me in awe. "And how could you ever say that to me? After everything I've done for you, how could you think I want to watch you get yourself killed?"

"If you aren't breaking up with me, then why are you acting so distant?" I ask him, trying to catch a breath.

Owen sighs. "I have things to tell you that I should've told you a long time ago."

"Hm," I tilt my head, narrowing my eyes. "Gonna tell me you're tired of babysitting me?"

"No, I-"

"Or that I should stop acting like a child?"

"Brinley-"

"Or that I need to do something for myself for once?" I say, my entire body full of rage.

"Calm down, I'm not-"

"No, no, I get it," I shake my head. "I'll get out of your hair. I'll leave you right alone."

I turn on my heel and stomp away as fast as I can. I hear Owen calling after me, but I don't stop. I can't believe everybody is against me.

No, not everyone, a small voice in the back of my head reminds me. Not Joey.

Yes. Joey. I'll go talk to Joey.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

Hey you! Yes, you. You should go add Never in a Million Years and Pour Out Your Heart to your libraries :) that would be a great idea. Thanks!