Chapter Forty-Four

"He looks like he's about to punch Jake in the face," Clarin comments.

The two of us are sitting a ways away from Owen and Jake who are talking things out with each other. Mostly, it's been Owen shouting at Jake, who looks like he's about to crap his pants. I almost feel bad for the guy, but then I get the nasty memory of him kissing me stuck in my head. Nope, no pity here.

"Sure does," I nod my agreement.

"And you, my friend, keep looking over your shoulder like someone's going to jump out and grab you," Clarin says.

I sigh, knowing she's right. Parker, Phil, Drake, Ben, and Ian are all playing football in the grassy area behind where we're lounged. But she doesn't know why exactly. I haven't told her about Jonathan's message for me quite yet.

A hand grabs onto my shoulder and a high pitched scream echoes through my skull. I practically jump a mile. That leaves two people, Clarin and Joey, laughing their butts off. I'm on the grass, frowning at them both, annoyed that now my white jeans have grass stains.

"You seem quite on edge," Joey comments, his laughter dying down enough for him to speak.

"And?"

"Whoa, you took an extra sassy pill this morning didn't you?" Joey asks, grinning at me.

"There is no such thing as a sass pill, Joey," I roll my eyes. "Only chill pills."

Joey snorts, walking over to help me off the ground. I brush off my jeans even though I know it's hopeless. They're stained and always will be. Great.

"Clarin, we're watching that one chick flick tonight, aren't we?" Joey asks.

"Yes! While You Were Sleeping. That's the one," she replies positively.

"Sweet, I love chick flicks," he winks at me. Maybe it's some inside joke I don't really know about. "I'll be back later, but I've got to go buy some crap."

"Please," I sigh. "Get out of here, you big loser."

"You wound my soul every time I converse with you," Joey says, dramatically putting a hand over his heart.

By the time he's gone, I'm antsy to get talking about something... Anything! I just need to get my mind off my worries. I shed one glance over at Owen and Jake talking, and I blurt out the first thing I can think of like the words are barf. This stress is suffocating.

"So, you and Lucas are getting pretty comfy are you?" I ask Clarin, wiggling my eyebrows.

"You did not just say comfy," she shakes her head with a laugh.

"Oh, I think I did," I reply.

"Right," she says. "Well, if you must put it in that awkwardly-named fashion, then my answer is yes."

"Ah, so my sister's fallen for a British Babe," I grin at her.

"I suppose I have," Clarin winks at me.

"I still haven't gotten any details!"

"Okay, okay, so he took me to the..."

She continues to tell me every sole moment of her perfect night. And I listen patiently, gasping and 'aww'ing when appropriate. But throughout all of this, I can't get a grip over the guilty feeling in my stomach.

"Clarin, I'm sorry, I really need to tell you something that I should've told you days ago," I finally blurt out.

She stops, staring at me, eyes wide. "Oh... Okay. I'll tell you about the sail mishap later. Go ahead."