Chapter 28: Mount Natagumo: Mother

"Everyone! We need to pause here!" Zenitsu shouted at them. 

"Zenitsu? What's wrong?" Tanjiro asked as everyone in their group stopped and faced the blonde.

"I'M NERVOUS OKAY?!" Zenitsu screeched as he sat on the road. "NOW THAT WE'RE NEARING OUR DESTINATION I'M GETTING SCARED!

"Why the hell are you sitting like that?" Inosuke said. "It's pretty weird if you ask me."

"WHO ARE YOU TO TALK TO ME ABOUT WEIRD?!" Zenitsu screamed. "YOU'RE NOT TELLING YOU'RE NOT GETTING SPOOKY VIBES FROM THAT MOUNTAIN!?"

"So he's always like this?" Okemia whispered to Shoto.

"Unfortunately, it wasn't much different in our last mission," Shoto whispered back.

"HEY! I CAN HEAR YOU GUYS!" Zenitsu shouted at them.

"I'm not exactly arguing with Zenitsu about the general... vibe? The temperature is colder than I would think it would be, but it's the mountains so it's not too surprising," Shoto said.

"Even so, we can't exactly just wait here," Tanjiro said. 

"I told you this guy's an odd duck," Inosuke said.

"If we're talking odd ducks none of us have any room to talk," Shoto said. "Trust me, you're not exactly "normal" either Inosuke."

"HUH?!"

"I AM NOT AN ODD DUCK! I'M COMPLETELY NORMAL! IT'S YOU GUYS THAT ARE THE STRANGE ONES!" Zenistu pointed at them.

"And Shoto's hair is pink and blue," Okemia said. "We're all weird here, so arguing about that isn't gonna get us anywhere."

Tanjiro suddenly widened his eyes and turned to the entrance of Mount Natagumo. Everyone saw his reaction and immediately put their guards up... well except Inosuke and Zenitsu.

"Tanjiro? There something... wrong?" Zenitsu asked.

"What is this smell?" Tanjiro said, not answering Zenitsu's question and running off.

"Wha?! Tanjiro!" Zenitsu called out to him. Soon Inosuke, Shoto, and Okemia follow him, leaving Zenitsu on the ground by himself, reaching out to them. "Hey! Wait up! Don't leave me here by myself!" He shouted to them as they increased the distance between him then decided to get up to chase them. "Who knows what could happen!"

They soon reached the entrance of the forest in front of them, spotting a slayer on the ground. The slayer in question didn't have any specific features either on his clothes, face, or sword. He seemed to struggle to get up, then caught sight of the new and colorful group of Demon Slayers. 

"Help me," the slayer quietly begged. "Please help me."

"Look at his uniform-" Tanjiro was saying before he got cut off. "Wait- Shoto! Don't go in recklessly!" 

"We don't have time!" Shoto said as he ran forward, lighting up his left side and launching a stream of flames above the slayer.