9 | Moonlit Memories and Whispered Conversations

Haneul's POV

[6:37 a.m]

The sky is covered in a pinkish hue, the upper half still painted a dark blue. The fading crescent moon is its only companion.

A soft, wistful fog covers everything up here, my exhales mix in with it. It seems to trap my humming in itself, not letting the outside world hear it. The solace I find in this thought is quite evident; I continue humming Sparkle.

My eyes focus on the melting dew drops on the bright dahlia before me. A water droplet slowly slides off one of its petals, and a memory flashes in my inside eye.

"Mumma, teach me how to make the prettiest flower crowns." A giggle escapes. A butterfly lands on the cheek.

"The prettiest flower crowns? Will you make them for me?" Soft smiles are shared.

"Papa makes them for you. So, I will make them for my person." A thoughtful hum. "Teach me how to make them sooo pretty that butterflies also love them."

"Oh? Shall we pick some pretty flowers then?" A hand offered to hold onto.

"Let's pick everything. I want to make one with their favorite flowers." Tiny fingers wrap around the hand.

"Oh my, then we have a lot to do." Laughters echo.

It ends as abruptly as it started. The memory is foggy, the same as this morning. Yet, I am certain, it is not mine.

It makes me feel like I have visited a precious, and deeply cherished reminiscence, some place I'm not sure I'm qualified to be. Still, it leaves a mark on my heart, like someone carefully craddling it, and mending all it's gashes. So gentle, yet so painful of a reminder of every hurt it endured.

A sense of dread builds in me, powerful in a sense that it overpowers every ounce of happiness I have felt the past hours.

Desperate, I'm desperate enough to beg to all the forces in the universe to keep everything hidden. Blanket my reality with the gentleness that I'm starting to receive.

Shield my vulnerability.

I hope fate understands me, just this once. Be kind to me, just this once.

I'm again reminded of how powerless I am. I cannot control anything that happens, all I can do is sit still and accept, and wish for the best. I finally found my soulmate, and thought it was all okay now. I will be alright now.

But, nothing ever happens the way you wish for it to be. Just as I did not wish to have my memories exposed to him so soon.

I'm sure he's not so keen on me intruding on his as well. Although, his seem to be adored, and valued.

Soul bonds are the purest form of connection between people, yet they cross all lines of self. All they see is how two souls are one and the same. This makes them the most powerful, and hence, the most destructive force.

The cold slowly seeps into my pajama, brushing my skin with the harshness it carries. I take this as a reminder that I should try and get some sleep, however short of a nap it may be.

The rising sun has dissipated the darkness that had previously resided in the room. This might help sleep find me.

As I get back to the pillow fort, and see the peaceful smile on Jeonghan's face, I hope for this to stay. I hope for his dreams to stay sweet, and pleasant.

This time when I slip back inside the blankets, Sooyun stirs in her sleep and hugs my arm, throwing her leg over me while her 'cuddle' pillow lies discarded behind her. I sigh and remove her legs off me, turning on my side to face the tent, and get as comfortable as possible.