Avoidance is key

Nova

I had a plan for the next day. I would avoid Kendall at all costs. He can deal with Cindy Lou. I wanted to graduate high school.

I took a shower and threw on a pair of blue jeans that made my ass look fabulous. Most girls wear skinny jeans. Not me. I prefer the ones that make your ass look bootylicious. If you got it, flaunt it.

I dug through my shirt and found a black Ramones tee shirt. I paired my look with a pair of combat boots. I'm a firm believer in a functional, kick-ass outfit. Not the ones where you can't breathe.

I threw my hair up in a clip, dabbed on a little cherry lip gloss, and checked for any issues before heading downstairs. Aunt Wren had cereal, milk, and a bowl waiting for me.

I slid into a chair and poured cereal into a bowl before adding milk. "What? No five-course meal?"

"Hate to break it to you, Nova. But this isn't a restaurant. Enjoy your cereal." Aunt Wren smirked.

Eh, it was better than starving. I dug in and ate before my cereal became a soggy mess.

"You look like you put somewhat of an effort into your appearance."

"I'm too lazy to fix my hair." I shrugged.

"Most girls your age want to attract a boyfriend or girlfriend."

"Okay. A: I don't swing that way. I'm cool if others do. B: What does it matter what I look like? If a guy can't take me at my laziness, he doesn't deserve me."

"A little effort hurt no one."

"A little effort hurts everyone. I'm trying to survive high school."

"Mark my words, Nova. You'll be eating yours."

"Not in this lifetime or the next."

Aunt Wren arched her brow.

I finished my breakfast, grabbed my bag, and made my jaunt to school before I was late. Nothing is worse than being tardy and getting a detention. I have an impeccable record that I would like to keep.

I yanked open the entrance door and strolled to my locker. I had a plan. It was a solid plan because I spent a few hours after Dad thought I went to bed devising it. I grab my books, toss my bag into my locker, and avoid Kendall.

I entered the classroom and sat in the front row, dead center. No one likes sitting close to the teacher if they can help it. I did it to avoid Kendall and Cindy Lou.

Students filed into the classroom and gave me strange looks. The teacher walked in and stopped when he noticed me sitting in my seat. He shook his head and mumbled, "I shouldn't have drank so much last night."

Apparently, the teacher has a drinking problem. I would, too, if I dealt with obnoxious students. And speak of the devil himself.

Kendall glanced at me before taking his seat.

My plan was working so far. And I got to focus on class to boot. Win-win.

Once the teacher dismissed the class, I hurried from the room and headed to my next class, doing the same thing. In fact, I made sure to sit close to the teacher in every class. Not that I enjoy being up close and personal with the teachers, but I avoided Kendall, except gym class.

Pft, who was I kidding? I still avoided him like the plague.

When Kendall approached me, I grabbed a guy and partnered with him, pissing Kendall off. What? He said no one owns him. So, no one owns me. I can partner with anyone I choose.