Get A Load Of This Guy

There's a lot of things Applejack could've meant when she said she missed me, and not one of them makes even a little bit of sense.

The morning after, and I still can't get that convo off my mind. I sit on my couch with Tank and do more brainstorming than I ever have in every English class I've ever taken.

I tell him EVERYTHING. How AJ couldn't look me in the eye when she said it, how her cheeks were maybe red but it was dark out so maybe I was seeing things, even how I kinda sorta flubbed it when I responded to her.

And sure, Tank's not actually understanding what I'm saying, but trust me when I say the little guy's trying his best. That's just one reason Tank's cool enough to be my pet; he makes a really good sounding board.

Still, he can't say much, and all the slow blinking is tripping me up.

"It's not like we've been talking less," last night was our first one-on-one hangout in a while, but we still see each-other practically every day at school.

Tank slow-blinks at me again.

"What d'you mean, it's different? We just did what we always do!" Ok, maybe not exactly what we always do. She doesn't always bring up Gilda outta nowhere, that's for sure.

But what changed to make Applejack feel distant enough that she missed me? The only big new thing I can think of is my apartment, but everyone's been here before. Pinkie even came a second time when she broke into my house last week.

Speaking of Pinkie...

I turn over my phone, and the screen lights up with a notification from an hour ago.

Morning Dashie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're probably still sleeping, but for when you wake up: how'd it go with your "sneaky link"?!?! I bet it went GREAT! Ooh, also, lemme know what flavor u want for the wedding cake. I'm thinking apple rainbow surprise! Gonna need a piece of your hair to make it work though, teehee. 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

Would you believe it if I said this isn't the weirdest thing she's sent me?

Ugh, Pinkie's pep talk was nice and everything, but I'm gonna need her to hold off on the wedding planning until I figure out what's going on between me and Applejack.

Here's the good part; I actually have an idea on how to pull that off!

Afterschool this coming Monday, us girls are helping Rarity set up some stuff for the Fall Formal. There's probably gonna be some boxes to move around, and me and AJ always get assigned lifting duty, since we're cool like that.

Anyway— we'll be hauling heavy stuff in the storage room, which means we'll get some time alone. And that's when I'm gonna ask her what the heck she was talking about. Cuz, weird as it sounds, I think I feel the same way?

Hear me out.

Me and Applejack's "thing" hasn't changed. Since we met way back when I was missing one of my front teeth and she still wore pigtails, we've always been experts at jumping on each other's nerves.

Even back then, AJ could be a total party pooper. She was all about Sweet Apple Acres, and making sure Applebloom didn't get into trouble, and doing all her chores on time. I guess little me saw that and thought, I need to annoy the shit outta her. And I'm proud to say that I succeeded!

Competing over the littlest things, making up challenges just for the fun of it, you get the idea. Soon enough she started looking happy to see me(in her words, she was just excited to whoop my sorry butt at whatever competition we had planned) and we leveled up from mutual nuisances to actual friends. She got on my case about being responsible, and I goaded her into playing instead of working whenever I got the chance.