Chapter 35: Avenge Me

Start from the beginning

***

I typed in the code to my room as an arm latched around my neck.

"Rudy!" Case put me in a headlock. "National Champion, my best friend is gonna kick some ass at Continentals!" He pumped his fist in the air.

"I'll do my best," I laughed.

"You have to avenge us." He turned me to face him.

"Avenge you?"

"Yes, Wolfsbane destroyed us this year. We worked so hard and won Nationals by some miracle only to be crushed by them." He sighed. "Kind of a downer for the season."

"Winning Nationals is kind of a big deal, and you have next year." I opened the door. "Most of the top players on the team will still be here. You have a shot to go again and avenge yourself."

"It was a miracle, Rudy." He trudged into the room. "Weren't you listening? You're my only hope now." He laughed to himself.

Shaking my head at his dramatic display, I put my duffle bag on my bed.

"So, besides winning everything, how did it go?" He grinned at me.

The wall behind him had been covered with corkboards with our various medals and Case's soccer trophies.

"It was fun. Stressful but fun. My grandpa volunteered to go with me to Wolfsbane."

"Figured, I wish I could be promoted babysitter."

I threw my pillow at him. "Not funny."

"I'm kidding, but I'd get to go to all of your meets."

Opening my bag, I dumped everything out. It was a mess that I didn't want to deal with, and everything smelled heavily of chlorine. I glanced at Case. "Do you want to get something to eat?"

"Always." He tossed my pillow at me and headed for the door.

I entered the hall and closed the door behind us.

"I want to see your medals when we get back."

"Sure."

We started for the cafeteria as Case told me everything I had missed. I had some catching up to do.

"What are you going to do about finals?" asked Case. "You won't be here."

I shrugged. "Coach said he talks to teachers, and they make out a plan. It sounds like a bit of summer school," I groaned. "I'm not looking forward to it."

"It's not too bad. I had to catch up over Christmas with everything I missed."

"Good to know." I opened the door to the building.

"Hey." Case nudged my arm. "There's your brother."

"Hmm..."

There was no missing him. Drake had grown like a weed since the moment he turned thirteen. He made his friends seem small, and they were around my height.

"Drake." Case waved.

We wandered over to join my brother and his friends.

"Congrats on your swimming thing," said one. A couple of others congratulated me as well.

"Thanks." I knew no one really cared about swimming. All they carried about was if Midfield won.

"I'm so mad I missed it," groaned Case. "How was the tournament, Drake? You went, right?"

Well, Case might be an exception to that.

My brother chuckled. "My mom and grandpa were more exciting to watch than the race at times."

"I wish I could have gone. My dad is tired of me falling behind in school. One more year, and we'll finally be done." Case bumped me.

Drake shook his head. "Oh no, college is required in our family."

I sighed. "My grandpa thinks every dominant should be well educated, and college is a part of that."

"College is different from high school," said Case. "You pups will be stuck here while we're finally free to do what we want."

Drake didn't say anything, but I knew what he was thinking. My parents would never let me be free to do what I want. I was still trying to convince them to stop having Grandpa go everywhere with me.

"Let's go get something to eat." I tugged on Case's shirt and turned to leave. "See you around."

"Mom wants us to come home this weekend," Drake called after me. "She tried to call."

I shook my head. "Phone was dead. Tell her okay for me."

I entered the cafeteria. I had spent all week with them. My dad just barely dropped us off at school, and she wanted to take over my weekend. I hoped I didn't have too much homework waiting for me.

I grabbed a meat platter, and Case did the same. I snagged a burrito on the way to a table.

"Family issues?" Case sat across from me. "I get how annoying brothers can be just by existing." He tossed a piece of dried meat in his mouth. "Thankfully, mine are older."

With a groan, I fell forward. "He's so damn perfect. I can't even be mad at him because he doesn't do anything to annoy me but like you said: existing. I'm the one being a jerk for getting upset for no reason."

Case nodded. "Both of mine are bigger than me. They're higher ranked as well. We might all be dominants, but I can already sense my place would be below both of them. It sucks. Thank god, my younger siblings are sisters. But even that's not a for sure thing. They might grow up and be able to kick my ass as well." He sighed. "That's probably what's going to happen, too."

I picked at the taco shell. "Everyone tries to be supportive, but they don't care about swimming. They're totally different when it's Drake's football game compared to swimming. I feel like I'm bothering them sometimes. Like they have to go, even though they'd rather be doing other things. My mom and grandpa care too much, but most of my family doesn't get it. If I figured out how to shift tomorrow, I'd still do swimming as a senior. I wouldn't trade sports."

"I'm right there with you. Rugby is our family sport, but I prefer soccer. I have since I was a pup."

"I remember." I smiled. "A bit obsessive."

"Want to know why?"

I nodded.

"For the first time, I could beat my brothers at something or at least compete with them. As I got older, I could run circles around them. It was the best feeling ever."

Sitting up, I took a deep breath. "Same."

"I'm happy you found swimming, and you're amazing at it," said Case. "I know nothing about it except how not to drown, but I still wish I could have gone and seen you crush everyone in the pool."

Smiling, I took a bite of my burrito. "It's the same with me and soccer."

"But have you missed one of my home games? I think not." He grinned at me. "Brothers are brothers. Best friends will always be better. You need to accept that."

I suck in my lips to keep from smiling. "You're so weird sometimes."

Case shrugged. "We're good at being weird as well. But since you are my best friend in the whole world—"

I arched a brow at his melodrama.

"—you have to avenge me and crush the Wolfsbane pack." He clenched his fist.

Laughing, I nodded. "I'll see what I can do."

_________________

Feel free to Link, Comment, and Share! Full Story is complete on Patreon (link on my profile); more is available on Radish Fiction.