026. Love Never Lost

Start from the beginning

"I was simply trying to escape my mother," Aegon lied. 

He didn't want Maegor to know the truth. Maegor had been correct; Aegon had hoped to spend the day drinking his thoughts away until he could think no more. But that truth would have caused Maegor to leave. As a dutiful son, he would have sought his mother, and Aegon would have been stuck with a lecture. 

"She's not too bad, though I've met some Septas who aren't as religious as her," Maegor laughed before pausing, "Though I mean no disrespect,"

Aegon may have held some offence. It was still his mother after all. But, when it came to Maegor, he always failed to feel anger.

"Though, now that you've foiled my plans, perhaps we can practice some sword fighting," Aegon suggested, hoping to spend more time with the boy, "Or I can take you to the Dragon Pit to see Sunfyre-"

"Maegor! I've been looking for you everywhere," 

Aegon ducked his head in a futile attempt not to be seen as the voice of his eldest sister rang through the garden. Squeezing his eyes shut, he cursed himself for mentioning her name even in thoughts, for it had brought her about. 

"Oh, Aegon," Enya said, eyeing the two boys' closeness suspiciously, "Good, I'm glad I... caught you too. I was meaning to speak with you as well,"

"Mother," Maegor said, standing up and leaving Aegon immediately, "I didn't make you search far, I hope,"

Aegon's heart stung slightly at the movement. Maegor hadn't thought twice about choosing his mother. He may not have to content with the younger ladies of Kings Landing, but Maegor would always choose his immediate family first. 

"Of course not," Enya said warmly, cupping her hand against Maegor's cheek and kissing his forehead. Aegon frowned, his mother was never so gentle, "But Jacaerys has been looking for you. I think he was hoping to learn some of those new sword tricks you learnt,"

Maegors eye lit up at the mention of the Velaryon boy, his cheeks blushing for Jacaerys in the same manner Aegon's had for Maegor. 

"Of course, mother, I'd be honoured," Maegor said, leaving Aegon to face Enya with a simple parting wave.

Enya smiled sweetly as she watched her eldest son depart. Soon enough, once he was out of earshot, Enya turned to stand over Aegon. 

"Would you like a hand up?" Enya asked, her smile only just reaching her eyes. 

"It's fine," Aegon said, dusting off his pants as he rose, "Have I done something wrong?"

Enya titled her head, making her look similar to Maegor, "Have you?"

Aegon shrugged, waiting for Enya to make the first move. 

"I wanted to walk with you. If you would have me," Enya said, as though it were a proposition Aegon could turn down. 

Enya took his silence as an affirming answer, beginning to turn back towards the halls. Enya went with such speed that Aegon had to hurry to walk beside her, though he easily matched her pace once he caught up. 

"I wanted to apologise," Enya began, turning her head to meet his gaze, "I fear I have not given you the attention you deserve,"

Aegon almost paused entirely at the statement, a feeling of warmth spreading over his chest at the idea that someone thought he deserved any attention at all. 

Aegon's own mother had three children to love but only two hands, which meant that, at many moments in time, Aegon was left alone in the dark. Rhaenyra only had two children for a long time before the third came along, so her two hands could handle giving equal love. Because of this, Aegon never felt unfairly treated. Once Laenor aged a little Jacaerys would experience the same thing as him. 

Enya, however, had four children and one more on the way. And yet, it seemed, all her children got to bask in her love and attention equally. It was clear when Aegon looked at Maegor that he was deeply loved. It was clear on all of the Targaryen-Baratheon children's faces. Enya made the act seem simple, making Aegon begin to spite his own mother and further crave such love and adoration. 

"I was hoping, in fact, to make you my Hand-in-training," Enya said, stopping in an empty stairwell, "It would not be an official title, but when I become Queen, I would like to know my Hand was well-trained,"

Aegon looked around, realising not a single soul was near them, something very rare considering someone was always watching the young prince. Though he hardly cared about that peculiar fact as the words Enya had spoken swirled in his mind. 

He remembered his mother's warnings about Enya, about both his older sisters, and how they would always conspire to dispose of him due to his mere existence. He found it hard to believe his mother's words. Surely, Enya could mean no ill will towards him when she presented such a position to him so freely. 

Still, his mother's words echoed in his head like a curse. 

"Have you discussed this with my mother?"

Enya remained silent for only a second before a charming smile appeared. 

"Somethings can remain secrets between siblings, can they not?"

Authors note:

I've been focusing a lot on writing my own book, entirely of my own brain and not fanfic, so I've not been on here recently. But I hope you like this chapter!

Honestly, I think Aegon loves and is also very jealous of Maegor at the same time. But yes, teenage Aegon is still a horny bastard in this fic, man is still out here ruining lives, but hopefully Enya can fix him up at least a little bit. Or, at the very least, keep him on a very short leash. 

Enya is constantly battling with the gays. They make her life harder and harder every day.