001. Gods Save The King

Naenya Targaryen had always enjoyed a good bout of chess. The pieces glided around the chess table as opponent struck opponent. Every single move was thought out three moves before they were brought to reality. Each piece holds significance. Each piece is there for only one reason. To protect the King. Naenya liked to think that the game before her helped her understand the complexities of ruling. While a pawn was small and seemingly insignificant, it could turn into something as powerful as a Queen, and sometimes it was better to sacrifice a higher player like the knight to achieve your end goal. 

Naenya loved to play chess. As long as she was winning. 

"How did you do that?" Naenya exclaimed, pushing her remaining chess pieces off the board and onto the ground in anger. 

Aemma Targaryen, despite being heavily pregnant and ready to pop at a moment's notice, was still the more skilled chess player. 

"Well, when you taught your opponent everything she knows," Aemma said simply, gesturing for Naenya to pick up her pieces, "You know every move they might play,"

Naenya muttered a string of obscenities as she collected her strewn pieces. She was only brought to attention by a strangled groan from her mother. 

"Mother, are you alright?" Naenya fussed, discarding her chess pieces onto the table, so her hands were free to grasp her mother's. 

"I am alright. This child is just an aggressive kicker," Aemma smiled, relaxing back into her position as Naenya handed her a chalice, "Unlike you, you were by far my easiest child. The only way I knew I was pregnant was my growing stomach. Your lack of movement even scared the Maester,"

Naenya hummed with a smile, fixing her mother's pillows, so they sat well on her back. She could not imagine herself in her mother's position. The way the stomach grew and feet swelled, and the mother gained such bizarre cravings all seemed so unnatural to her. While she knew how natural the whole process was, her mother and the maester had explained it all in great detail how natural the process was. Naenya couldn't imagine something more abnormal in her entire life. 

The only reason Naenya wasn't in her mother's position, the only reason Naenya was still in King's Landing at all, was simply a good hand of fate. Despite her age, Naenya had yet to have her first blood. In the eyes of the Gods, she was still a babe that could not be wed. While some may have found this entirely humiliating, hells even her younger sister had bled, Naenya only saw it as a divine act of God. The Gods liked her so much that they didn't dare force her through something like childbirth just yet. 

"My sweet sun," Aemma spoke, her hand slipping from Naenya's grasp to caress the girl's face, "I have done this before. I will be perfectly well,"

Naenya sighed, her eyes meeting her mothers, "Do you promise?"

These Violent Acts →  House of the DragonOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara