twenty-eight

The diner was busy, and Sage wanted to pull her hair out as she dealt with entitled customers. No, the seal steak isn't available any other way! order something else if you dont like it.

She was really regretting her decision to help out a short-staffed Alison. The older woman, noticing the girls bubbling annoyance, moved Sage to the back, helping with drinks and dishes. Koa, Alison's main cook, was working hard to calm the teens bubbling anger, and had somehow succeeded only by burning his hand.

"Dumbass, aren't you supposed to be this great chef?" The girls brows were raised in humor as she filled a milkshake glass with the blended huckleberry milkshake.

"Oh, so other people's pain calms you down? What great children Alison has." Sage glared at the twenty-four year old as she gripped the glass.

"Im in a room surrounded by knives, I suggest you dont start shit talking." The two had a stare down as Sage blindly set a straw in the milkshake bringing it to her lips.

"Sage! come up front for a second." She glanced through the opened wall and back at the cook.

"This isn't over Koa." The male snorted as she walked through the metal doors. Sage set her drink on the counter, leaning on it as she looked at her maternal figure.

"Whats up Alison?" The older woman glanced at the girls drink and sent her a look causing her to shrug.

"Where's your brother?" Sage shrugged and finally looked towards the people Alison had been talking to.

"Probably home, where I should be. Unless they're talking about the wedding, then I'm more than happy to stay." Alison playfully scoffed and turned back to the couple at the counter.

"I don't think you guy's ever met, Sage. She was born after you two left." Sage looked between the two strangers, she noticed how they seemed to tense at the woman's words.

"You and Joshua had another kid?" Sage's eyes narrowed at the woman, who's question seemed forced— like she knew something she shouldn't.

"Nah, Joshua was an asshole who cheated on this beautiful, amazing woman here." Alison tensely smiled as she looked at the young girl.

"Im not upping your pay."

"Damnit, I dont know how anyone expects me to go to college." The bell above the door dinged and the boys voices flooded the girls ears. "Ew, your son's here with his ugly friends."

Paul smirked at her as he sat on the barstool in front of her, leaning across the counter as he stole her drink. "Tell me what you really think, babe."

"I just did." She smiled as she took her drink back. Alison softly slapped the back of her head causing her to smile.

"Stop flirting in front the customers." Sam looked at the woman before looking between his sister and Paul with a disgusted expression.

"Stop flirting in general, It's gross."

"I see you and Em making out like 20 times a day, shut up." Alison rolled her eyes at the siblings before looking back at her two old friends.

"I'm sure you guys remember Sam." The mentioned boy perked up confused as he looked at the couple, trying to rack his brain for how he knew them.

"God, he was only up to my knees when i saw him last." Sage snorted as the woman spoke, ignoring as the man looked at the group of overgrown teenagers.

"Alison, what the hell are you feeding these kids, steroids?"