Chapter 37: Dear Love Sworn But Hollow Perjury

Start from the beginning

Knowing Tobus, perhaps he was already aware of this but was willing to go to the lengths of giving the most terrifying shovel talk in all of Vesna's history. 

Eartha pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes.  

"Go gather your men, both of you. Search the city and let us hope Tobus is just overreacting." 

---

Pluto wanted to drown his sorrows in a wine barrel. 

Jovette and Tobus. Happy Dagger and Cat. 

He kept the two of them in his memories for the longest time ever since that fateful meeting. 

Golden hair and copper skin... 

Two pairs of Emerald green eyes...

He was aware he needed to be neutral. That was the rule drilled into him since he started learning to be a Stella heir. 

But Pluto didn't want the heirship.

Mercury and Venus could take it for themselves. All he wanted was to unite with the one who had called him Star and the girl who had looked at him with kind eyes. 

It was all very stupid. They had only interacted for less than five minutes, but Pluto was used to cruelty all his life. That meeting was a core memory that he couldn't forget. 

Meeting them again as adults was... strange. 

Tobus was an assassin, and he was very good at what he did. Jovette was a dangerous killer in her own right, and she was a master of disguise. 

They were gorgeous in their craft, and Pluto had the honor of watching them complete their missions with a finesse he couldn't compare with anything else he'd seen. 

Now they were getting married...

Pluto wiped away his tears and took another swig of the wineskin. 

"Okay, I get that heart has been shattered into smithereens, but can you cry somewhere else? Why does it have to be in my room?"

Alas, cruel world, alas. 

Pluto closed his eyes and proceeded to pass out. 

"Oh, come on!" 

---

It wasn't that Venus didn't dislike his cousin... but he kind of did. 

He would never let his one-sided dislike affect his work, but he would never go out of his way to talk to Pluto if he had the time. 

Pluto liked Tobus. 

A lot. 

The moment he came back from the sister city, he demanded to be Tobus' handler. 

Venus was Tobus' handler. 

Tobus was his first and only agent, and his uncle proceeded to revoke his title as the Cat's handler and gave it to Pluto like a welcome gift. 

Of course, Venus understood he wanted him to be the Director of Intelligence, but he was promised a few more years as a handler before his time would come. 

But then the previous Director just had to die of natural causes and left the seat open to the most capable individual in the Tower.

Venus sometimes cursed his own genius. Would it have truly killed him to pretend to be ordinary for another decade?

Now he couldn't be Tobus' extra set of eyes and ears, and that upset him like no other.

Pluto took his job, and devastatingly enough, he was good at it.