Chapter 2: A Chuuni Arch Wizard

Start from the beginning

Aqua: "God Blow is a lethal fist that carries a goddess's rage and sorrow! Any it strikes will perish!"

She hit the the toad. It did not perish. Its flesh only jiggled a little as the force of her punch was nullified. It looked down at Aqua.

Aqua: "N-Now that I can take a good look at you, I think you lil' froggies are kinda cute."

Y/N: "It's a toad."

It ate her. Y/N and Kazuma went to save her after a while of watching her being eaten, just to spite her.

After that little fiasco, the three went back to Axel and Aqua took a bath. In the evening, they were sharing a meal, a few plates of frog meat, when Aqua said something kinda smart for once.

Aqua: "Let's get some new party members. There's three of us, but you two are too weak. We need more people like me, people who have advanced classes."

Y/N: "You got eaten by two different toads. And saved by us. How are we weak?"

Aqua: "You're both the weakest class, remember?"

Y/N: "... Point seen."

Kazuma: "But seriously, 5,000 eris per frog. We earned the same amount of money as we earn from our part-time construction job. And we risked our lives. It really isn't worth it, is it?"

Y/N: "That's true. What really is the point of being an adventurer if we don't earn any more than from part-time jobs? We could have died, man. Can we just retire?"

Aqua: "What are you saying?! I need you two to defeat the Demon King so I can go home! So, we need allies! Strong ones!"

Y/N: "And we're supposed to get some... how, exactly?"

Kazuma: "Yeah. We're beginners with no equipment. There's no way some strong guys will just appear outta nowhere and wanna join our party."

Aqua: mouth full of food "You've got me here, so allies-"

Kazuma: "Swallow. Swallow before you talk."

She gulped down some beer along with her food, and continued.

Aqua: "I'm an arch priest, the most advanced job there is! People'll come running to us like their life depended on it! I'm sure of it! Even more so if I asked for party members out of nowhere! Everyone would say things like "Please take me with you!" "I'll devote myself to you!" And so on!"

Y/N and Kazuma shared a look, equally annoyed and weirded out by how Aqua acts. But her being so optimistic did give them a sliver of hope that they'd recruit at least a few party members.

The next day

Aqua: "... No one's coming."

It's been over half a day since the three put up a recruitment poster. So far, no one has even looked at them. They were sitting at a table, just waiting.

Y/N: "You know, maybe it's because you made it so bad. Seriously, did you need to flaunt yourself? It's weird and narcissistic. And the requirements to get hired being having to be an advanced class?"

Kazuma: "Yeah, we should lower the bar. A lot."

Aqua: "But... But..."

Y/N: 'And she's about to cry again.'

Kazuma: "Seriously, no one will approach us with that kinda requirement. Sure, you might have an advanced job, but Y/N and I are the weakest job. We'll feel oppressed or something if we're surrounded by elite people."

Ignoring Kazuma, Y/N turned around when he heard foot steps, and saw a girl around his age approaching. She had brown hair, more on the darker side, and a part of her hair reached her shoulders on each side.