"Thank you, Oli. Really," I say, my voice half-muffled by his plaid shirt. He smells good, clean, and earthy--something comfortable and homely.

"To tell you the truth, it's purely selfish. Now, you'll have to take the same bus as I do, and I'll get more of those nerdy debates."

My chuckle is cut short when a door opens next to us. We separate instantly and turn to see who interrupted us.

Of course, it's him.

Alexander Coleman, in all his mightiness, stares at us with a judging glare, his eyebrow cocked up. Somehow, I feel ashamed he caught us like this, even though we did nothing wrong. The way our boss is disapprovingly looking at us makes me uncomfortable.

He's dashing, as usual, and I feel my skin warm up under his stare. How can this man reduce me to mush with his eyes alone? What kind of sorcery is this?

"Weren't you two supposed to be in front of your computers ten minutes ago?" Alexander asks.

"Yes, sorry. We came to see Tammy for a personal matter," Oli explains with diplomacy.

"Was the matter resolved?"

"Yes, it was."

"Then can you tell me why you two are frolicking around when you should be heading to your desks?"

My mouth drops open, all notions of arousal gone. What is this, Nazi Germany? Aren't we allowed to have personal lives, issues, and such?

"We weren't frolicking around," I begin. "Human warmth might be a mysterious notion to y--"

"We're heading back downstairs right now," Oli says hurriedly, cutting my rant short. With that, he grabs my arm, just over my elbow, and pulls me to the stairs.

As we walk, I look behind to send an enraged glare at the pompous idiot, earning myself a defying glower. Oli is the only reason why I don't say anything. "This man needs to chill the fuck out," I mumble once we're at the stairs.

"Seriously, Andy, let it go."

"I can't! He is so strict and frigid! How have you been tolerating him for seven years?"

"He isn't always like this. Lately, he has been worse. I think it has to do with the negotiations for the partnership."

"The partnership?"

"Kev and Lex have been meeting with smartphone manufacturers to design a new type of phone for our clients."

Oli tells me more about the negotiations, but no matter what, it doesn't give Alexander the right to lash out at his employees. At the same time, I want to trust Oliver's judgment, so if he thinks our boss is worth the effort, maybe I should listen.

When we enter the Lair, Brian gives us another one of his inquisitive looks. Before he can say a thing, Oliver cuts him short with a dry, "Shut up, Brian."

As I sit down, I receive a text. It's from an unknown number. As soon as I open it, I see it's Tamika, sending me details about the apartment, along with a few pictures.

It looks really nice. The living room is comfortably arranged, and it's separated from the kitchen by a counter at bar height. It's in an old building, and one of the walls is raw bricks. Two windows allow enough natural light in for the place to be well lit, and I feel great about that. In just four days in the studio, I already miss the sun, feeling like a goblin living underground.

I excitedly open the pictures of my bedroom she sent me, and the smile I have on widens. It's more than perfect. I'm about to send another grateful look at Oli when a familiar voice comes from behind me.