comically large knives.

Walking into Steve's office, you set down a stack of papers."Hey, I printed out those files for you."  He grabs them skimming through the papers.

He looks back up at you smiling. "Thank you."

"Mhm, so how was your last client?" You ask taking a sip from your water bottle. Were you exhausted? Definitely, but you felt better getting through the day knowing you were actually able to get sleep tonight.

"He was a total asshole. Wasn't satisfied with any of the jobs I had lined up for him."

"Yeah, he kinda looked like the type," You laugh recalling the guy who last came in. You could tell he definitely peaked in high school. "But hey, not everyone is willing to accept help when they need it." You shrug.

"You know, he reminded me of that one guy. What was his name?" He asks. His eyes light up once he remembers. "Oh yeah, that Mike guy."

"Oh, haha I remember him." You chuckle awkwardly. If only he knew that Mike was actually a really sweet guy.

"Hey, I'm going out for lunch, you wanna tag along?" He asks walking over to the coat rack. You think about it for a second, before remembering you had brought your own lunch with you.

"Nah it's okay I brought my lunch with me." You point over to your bag that sits by the window.

He grabs his coat, looking back at you. "You sure?"

"Yeah, and besides I'm sure you need a break from me," You shrug. "Maybe next time."

He nods. "Alright, I'll see you when I get back."

You wave as he leaves, now left on your own. You decided to do a nice thing and clean Steve's office while he was on lunch. Not that it had been super dirty, Steve had been a clean freak, but there were a few things that could use some touch-ups.

His desk for example was cluttered with papers. You decided to put them in his filing cabinets. You turn on the small radio he had in his office, turning on your favorite station quietly singing along as you sort the files alphabetically.

Once that was finished you decided to clean and sort through his drawers. You opened the top drawer seeing a stack of photos. You decide to be nosy and look through them all.

"Hmm, didn't know he was popular," You smile to yourself looking at all the photos in his desk drawer. There were pictures of presumably a younger Steve with friends. You shuffle through the photos, eventually landing on one of him with a woman and a child, a girl specifically.

Steve had never mentioned anything about a wife or a daughter to you. He never wore a wedding ring either. So you were confused as to why he had been keeping something like that from you. It's not like he had anything to hide from you. You almost felt betrayed.

You told him most things about your life. Sure you didn't speak much of your brother but that was for your own sake. To be fair, maybe that had been his reason too.

He probably went through a really shitty divorce, tearing his family apart. Maybe he was so heartbroken that he didn't want to even attempt to pursue another relationship. That was your theory anyways.

Maybe he was hurt, just like you.

Looking back at the photo, something else caught your eye. His supposed daughter to be more specific. She looked very familiar to you, but you couldn't quite place where you knew her from.

You weren't sure what to think of all of this. Especially since you've two known each other for years at this point. You honestly felt a little hurt.

You hear the door knob turning and you immediately slam the drawer shut, standing behind Steve's desk awkwardly. You felt like you just discovered his biggest secret. You look back over at your lunchbox realizing you had forgotten to eat.