Alec and Magnus City of Lost Souls oneshot

When Simon came into Magnus's apartment, it was quiet. There was a fire flickering in the grate, and Magnus sat in front of it on an over-stuffed sofa, his feet up on the coffee table. Alec was asleep, his head in Magnus's lap, and Magnus was twirling strands of Alec's black hair between his fingers. The warlock's gaze, on the flames, was remote and distant, as if he were looking back into the past. Simon couldn't help but remember what Magnus had said to him once, about living forever: 

"Someday you and I will be the only two left."

Simon shuddered, and Magnus looked up.

Alec hadn't remembered when he fell asleep, but he was pulled back into consciousness by Magnus's voice speaking softly above him. "Isabelle called you over, I know." The warlock's slender fingers were gently tugging at Alec's hair, as if he were twirling strands of his hair between his fingers. "She's down the hall that way - the first bedroom on the left."

Alec let his eyes lazily flutter open, just catching the dark crimson of Simon's hoodie as he disappeared down the unlit hall. Magnus's hands stilled in Alec's hair, and he felt the warlock's green cat eyes focus on him. "Alec?"

Alec turned his face to the side, feeling the soft fabric of Magnus's silk pyjama pants against his cheek where his head was in his lap. "I fell asleep?" he mumbled, raising his hands to his face to rub his eyes. 

"Yes, as expected. It is after four in the morning."

Alec frowned, letting his hands fall against his face. "Then what's Simon doing here?"

"He came to see Isabelle. I'm guessing she left him a note." There was a distant tone to Magnus's voice, and when Alec drew his hands away from his face to look at him, his gaze, on the blue-white flames of the low fire in the grate, was also distant.

"Magnus," Alec said softly, but his gaze didn't break away from the fire. Alec caught his partner's hands, still resting lightly on his hair. "Magnus."

"Mhm?"

"Look at me."

Magnus finally broke his gaze away from the flames, looking down at Alec. 

"What's wrong?"

Magnus shrugged, his mascaraed eyes half-lidded. "Nothing. I am just tired."

"Then why let me sleep and not fall asleep yourself?" Alec didn't mean to make his reply cold, but he was still tired, and having Magnus not giving him the truth was wearing away at his temper. 

"I was just thinking - nothing more. Go back to sleep, Alec. It's still early in the morning."

Alec fought against the drowsiness that slowly crept through his whole body. "Why don't you? You haven't been sleeping for days, and the last time I nearly got you to come to bed, I woke in the morning with you not even coming to the bed to sleep."

Magnus moved under Alec's head, and he felt him tense. "I've just been so caught up with those runes, Alec, and now with everyone here, taking up my guest rooms and begging for me to create a portal, it's quite a handful of tasks to keep under control."

"Oh, I'm sure you've had worse," Alec shot back coldly. "Or were the things you did for Will just out of kindness towards him?"

Magnus straightened up on the over-stuffed sofa, his eyes widening. "How do you know-"

"I looked at some of the paper on your desk," Alec said, feeling slightly guilty. No, he told himself sternly. Magnus should have told me.