The older Lightwood's height added on to his elongated arm made it impossible for Asher to reach for the tablet, even when she jumped. "No! Keep it!" Isabelle countered. "We need photos. Take one of the both of us!"

Asher's protest fell on deaf ears as Isabelle wrapped an arm around her waist and smiled big. Alec smirked and held up the tablet. "Say 'cheese'." Asher sighed, giving in to the inevitable. She widened her mouth into a big grin as Isabelle pulled her close. 

The younger Lightwood was relentless, instructing pose after pose for their impromptu photoshoot.  Jace watched quietly in the corner, chuckling at the faces Asher was making in between takes. By the end, the two girls were a giggling mess.

Alec lowered the tablet, satisfied with the collection of pictures. "These are keepers." He declared.

Jace stepped forward, a teasing smirk on his face. "Alright, my turn." He snatched the tablet from Alec's hands, earning an indignant protest from Isabelle. "You can't just take over like that!" "Watch me," Jace retorted. He pushed Alec in front and raised the device. "Smile for the camera."

As Jace snapped a quick photo, he grinned triumphantly. "Perfect." Isabelle clapped her hands in excitement. "Okay, now we need one of all of us." She took the tablet and pressed a few buttons before setting it up in front. 

Isabelle rushed over as the light from the tablet started to blink, pulling Jace along with her. She quickly squeezed in next to Alec while Jace made his way to Asher's side.  "Okay get ready!" Isabelle squealed. 

As the light blinked faster, a playful energy filled the room. Isabelle threw a peace sign, Alec attempted a suave pose, and Jace, with a mischievous glint in his eyes, wrapped his arm around Asher's waist and pulled her into a side hug. Caught off guard by the sudden closeness, she looked up at him. In that instant, their eyes locked, and time stood still.

Jace's soft smile spread across his face, crinkling the corner of his eyes. His gaze held a warmth that spread through Asher's body like a wildfire. Her heart fluttered in her chest as the world around them seemed to fade away. In that moment, Asher allowed herself to imagine what it would feel like to let herself be loved.

Asher didn't realize she was smiling until the camera flashed. Isabelle cheered and rushed over to take a look at the photo. "It looks so good!" The brunette quickly looked away, face heating up from their interaction. She cleared her throat and dropped her arm as Isabelle came bounding over to show off the picture.

Jace's arm remained around her as he peered down at the screen. "See?" He pointed to the various photos displayed. "Sometimes a little fun doesn't hurt." Asher rolled her eyes as she attempted to hide the smile threatening to show. "Don't get used to it, Wayland." 

"We should do this every time we get ready." The younger Lightwood giggled and handed the tablet back to Alec.

Alec's demeanor shifted the moment he received the tablet. The lighthearted tone dwindled as he studied the group photo. His brow furrowed, and a shadow crossed his features. The others exchanged puzzled glances, sensing a sudden change in Alec's mood.

Isabelle eyed her older brother. "What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing." Alec responded curtly and exited out of the photos. "We should be preparing for the mission, not taking silly photos."

"Well, someone's in a great mood," Jace commented, attempting to diffuse the tension with a lighthearted jab. Alec shot him a glare. "This isn't the time for jokes, Jace. We have a mission, and I expect everyone to take it seriously."

"Seriously?" Jace scoffed, his arm dropping from Asher. "We were just having a bit of fun. Lighten up." Alec ignored his Parapati and glanced down at the time on the tablet. "We're behind schedule. Asher, Izzy, and I will check the perimeter. Jace, you and Clary can meet us there."

Jace frowned. "Wait, shouldn't Asher be with me for negotiations? Hodge said-"

"I don't care what Hodge said." Alec snapped, his frustration bubbling to the surface. "I'm the acting leader, and what I say goes. Now, move." The tension in the room escalated as he stormed out of the room.

Jace exchanged a glance with Isabelle as Asher made her way towards the door. "Hey, wait." He grabbed her arm. "You're not seriously going to listen to him, right?"  

Asher looked at Jace, her expression conflicted. "He has a point, Jace." She said quietly, her gaze flickering toward the door. Jace's eyebrows furrowed in surprise. "You're just going to let him call the shots like that? What about what Hodge said?"

Asher sighed, running a hand through her hair. "I'm already in a lot of trouble with the Clave and Julian over Clary. I just want this mission to go smoothly." She gently pulled her arm away. "If that means rolling over and following Alec's rules, then so be it."

Looking back at Isabelle, Asher nodded towards the door. "Let's go."