Chapter 17- A farewell

Start from the beginning

" Then maybe if you up my allowance, I could be on my best behavior."

" Child, I ain't paying you nothing."

" 50 extra dollars and I'll throw in some Fante!" Her grandma immediately gasped at her audacity to use the one thing that she knew would make her cower.

" Who taught you that?"

" Bargain? First you and then Dad. I'm the combination of both. " She smiled mischievously.

" Kwesi, this daughter you left behind will be the end of me."

" He can't hear you. Do we have a deal?" Ashanti asked.

" 250 it is. Don't push it." She warned.

Ashanti smiled through the ride and was even nice to the seamstress throughout the process.

                         OoO

Faye sat next to her sister who was sound asleep in bed. What was going wrong with her family? She wondered if more scary situations were heading their way. She wished to speak to any of her friends but Kweiba was MIA, Ashanti was at her grandma's beck and call, True had been sent over to her grandparents in the village, Ciarra was grounded and Heather was still healing from a gun wound.

Her Dad was still finalizing things with the regiment and the force in general and her aunt had several exams to write at the University that week. Julie would have been her best buddy right now but she also wouldn't walk, doesn't want her friends to see her and cried herself to sleep constantly.

Ladi called every night though, through his best friend Moro. She missed him a lot but appreciated his initiative. She had resorted to studying most of the time after witnessing her terrible grades. She suddenly realized how many hours she had at her disposal now that her life virtually felt empty. After over two hours of costing and accounting, she hears the doorbell. Maybe it was time for a break. She stretched her muscles and walked out of her room to the door.

She opened the door to the twin cities,   Sekondi and Takoradi.

" Kuky!!" Sek beamed hugging her tightly.

Kora tries acting cool since he still had a crush on Faye. Ever since he told her, he's been trying to act mature and all smart which was quite funny to Faye. He had a book in hand and with the number of stickers on it, you could tell it was a scrapbook. Sek also had a paper bag in hand.

" Mom says to bring this to you two." She says handing it to Faye as she let them in.

" Thank you so much... cookies?"

" And meat pie, fresh out of the oven. She told us to get some juice but the shop was closed." Sek says making herself comfortable in the couch like she used to do when Mrs Quansah was around.

" I would have gone to the supermarket across the road but...I need an adult to cross the road." Kora deflates.

" Don't worry, you're going to be big real soon. Look at that, you're already almost my height and you're only nine."

" I hope so." He follows her to the kitchen where she gets cups and a carton of orange juice from the fridge.

She could tell they wanted to ask her something but after Julie's previous reaction, it had become difficult for them to approach her.

She had a fit and threw a tantrum when her Dad let her friends in to come see her, apparently she didn't want them to see her like this. If you ask me, that's pretty emotional for an eight year old.

" Julie is asleep." Faye informs them.

" It's a shame. The entire team did a recording of her iconic dance move but....I don't think she'll want to see it." Kora says picking up the cups of juice and walking back to the living room. He handed one to his sister.