Chapter 11- Alhamdulilahi

Psquare- Bring it on

Kweiba had never woken up fully drenched in sweat in the middle of the night before so as she jolted herself awake. She sat up for over an hour very distressed. She glanced around the pitch dark room she now slept in alone. She could have checked under her bed but she slept on a mat. She quickly looked under her pillow to check if the money she had earned from selling her shoes were still there. It was all gone, not even the coins she had obtained as change after buying food the previous evening.

Kweiba panicked and begun to feel her way through the dark knocking things down on her way out of the suffocating room. The cool breeze of the night that hit her outside slowly calmed her racing thoughts. What was happening to her, it felt like she was carrying a very heavy weight with plastic arms. There was only one other person who would fully understand her.

She could barely close her eyes that night so as soon as day broke, she showered and dressed up heading out of the house.

Daavi was still at her spot in the market. Nothing much had changed except what she was selling, no longer fish but beans. Kweiba loved this old lady in a very special way. When she had been dropped off on the streets of Accra, she took her in and cared for her with the very little she had so Kweiba could never forget her. Even after being enrolled in elementary school and subsequently junior high school, Kweiba would pass by her place constantly to check up on her.

As soon as the old lady's eyes shifted from the beans she was scooping for a customer and unto Kweiba approaching she shrilled with so much joy in their local dialect.

" Ei is that my shining star?!" She called out packaging the customers food for him and taking his money before he walked away.

" Daavi." Kweiba managed a smile, " I need help."

                   OoO

Veronica sat next to Calvin on his bed as he snored lightly. He woke up with a start and turned to her, taking her hand and looking in her eyes she became anxious " Hey, what's wrong? Did you have a nightmare?"

" I want to leave." He stated tugging at his robe.

He was getting out of bed, Veronica placed a hand to his chest to stop him, " You need to be here."

" Vee look at me, do I look any better to you?" She didn't know how to answer that, " Whatever time I have left I want to spend it with you doing stuff I always wished to do not stuck in a bed."

Veronica didn't want to agree to that but thinking about it, it was still his choice and not hers. Being selfish at this point was pointless.

" But - No Ronnie, I can't be here." He cut her off.

" What do you want us to do?"

Calvin grinned and gingerly got out of the bed pulling out the tubes connected to his arm and heading towards the bathroom. Veronica looked at the empty bed and wondered if it was a bad decision. He stepped out a few seconds later in a sweater and wash jeans and a facemask. She run a comb through his hair for him and literally snuck him out of the hospital.

" You've got a bucket list or something cause I have no idea what to do with you." Veronica chuckled as she ordered for an Uber on her phone at the forecourt of the hospital while patients and their families moved about.

" I don't know, I never kept one, do you have one though?" He asked and the smile she sent him told him everything.

" You have a driver's license right?" She asked and he nodded.

" Let's go on a road trip. As far as we can get. If we can't get back we could get on a bus to get back here." Veronica's adventurous side suddenly gets piqued.