Chapter 19- I Know It's A Lot

Start from the beginning

It was a little more innocent than I normally go for, but it might be a good idea to show as that.

"Look at you, all Princessey," Jace said, getting dressed again.

"Yeah yeah. Well I mean, I am a princess now," I replied, smoothing out my hair as I put the tiara that Evie gave me back on my head.

Glancing around, I found my regular black heeled boots, throwing on some rings to put my Isle style back to it.

After doing my regular makeup, there was a loud pounding on the door, that was very insistent.

"My gosh can't I have some time alone," I muttered, walking past Jace to throw open the door.

Jay was standing there, his hand still up and fisted from knocking on the door.

"What do you want?" I snapped, stepping back into my room to pack a couple things.

They said not to pack clothes, but I wanted to bring my pointe shoes, and a couple dancing things so I could stay up to date over the summer.

"What is the guard doing here?" He asked, stepping into the room.

"He is here because I wanted him to be. That is what he gets for not pushing me to be someone I'm not," I answered, closing up my backpack and glancing at Freja.

She was seated at my feet, watching Jay with a caution that I knew was coming from me.

Gently petting her head, I raised my eyebrow, watching him.

"I wanted to apologize for kissing you without asking last night. That was inappropriate," he said, standing stiffly as he glanced between Jace and I.

"You don't regret kissing me. You just don't like how I reacted," I replied, keeping eye contact with him.

"Well, I, uh."

"When you are ready to apologize properly, you can come back," Jace said, stepping in.

"I don't need you fighting my battles either soldier boy. I am perfectly capable of taking care of them all on my own," I snapped again, now turning a glare to Jace.

He almost looked a little hurt there, before remembering himself and backing up.

"He is right though. You are apologizing not because you feel bad, but because you believe it's 'the right thing to do'. That doesn't count," I said, using air quotations to emphasize my point.

"Now, if both of you would be kind enough to move, I have a kingdom to get to. Toodles," I trotted out the door, leaving the boys inside to bicker.

I can't deny that last night was a lot of fun, and that the care Jace gave me wasn't amazing.

But I am not a person to depend on anyone.

Ever.

Walking outside, I saw Ben and his parents talking to Elsa, along with a man who looked like he was from a tribe of some kind.

He had his arm around her waist, and they both looked absolutely happy as they talked.

Walking up, I watched as they both turned to me, smiling.

"Iduna," Elsa said, pulling me into a hug.

"Just Nina please," I said, and she shook her head.

"No. Iduna was my mother's name. You should bear that name with pride," she said, and I froze, keeping my expression hidden.

"This is your father, Bavva. He and I met on one of my trips to visit the Northaldra people," she said, and he smiled at me.

"I would have come earlier, but the spirits have been in rather an upset lately, the giants making it impossible to keep a solid river going. Though I suppose we know why," he said, such a warm look in his eyes.