chapter three | questions

SHE HASN'T STOPPED thinking about her moment with Taylor. Was it enough to confirm her suspicions? Not at all, but it gave her a feeling that she was right. There was something that Taylor wasn't telling her. She could ask Taylor about it, or she could leave it alone and wait for Taylor to say something.

After wrapping gifts until four in the morning, Taylor took the chance to get her shopping out of the way while Y/n slept. She bought gifts for Y/n, her family, friends, and fans. It was time for Swiftmas.

Like many years before, she would be delivering them herself. She might take Y/n with her again this year.

Y/n woke up around one in the afternoon. She walked out to the living room to get a cup of coffee but stopped in her tracks when she saw presents under the tree. Where did they come from? She approached the tree, now seeing her name on the presents. They were from Taylor. "When did she have time for this?" Y/n asked herself, thinking that she was alone.

"While you were sleeping," Taylor replied as she walked into the room. She looked at her and smiled, soon sitting on the couch behind her. Y/n looked over her shoulder, smiling at her friend, before moving to sit next to her. "I'm glad that we're spending Christmas together." She spoke, soon feeling a weight on her shoulder. She looked over to find that it was Y/n's head. She wrapped an arm around her, now admiring the Christmas tree and all the pretty colors.

"Me too, I was not prepared to be alone again." She joked, letting out a chuckle. There was a familiar silence that settled in. The same silence between the two that happened when they were so happy that they didn't want to ruin a moment when they were together and happy. Now, they weren't together. They're just friends.

It was strictly platonic; both of them knew that.

"I'm going to go get that coffee I told myself I was going to get but never did." Y/n spoke up to break the silence. She grinned at her best friend, soon standing up and walking to the kitchen.

Taylor was left sitting on the couch alone with her thoughts, the familiar feeling of warmth now replaced by the same bitter cold that lived outside with the snow.

She couldn't move on from Y/n even if she wanted to. What they had was so special; she didn't want that with anyone else. She wanted to tell Y/n that more than anything, but she knew that both of them would be too busy.

She might say something at New Year. Maybe, if she were lucky, Y/n would say something sooner.

Taylor sat in her room, thinking about her relationship with Y/n. The cats surrounded her on the bed; Benjamin and Meredith were sleeping, and Olivia was purring as Taylor gently petted her. She was trying to figure out when their lives got too busy for each other. Was it the beginning stages of making a new album with a mix of Y/n's schedule?

Could it be that she was working on her last re-record before finally owning all of her first six albums?

What went wrong with scheduling? They always had time to spend together when she was on tour; what changed? She was quickly pulled out of her thoughts by her mother walking into the room. "Y/n let me in before she left," Andrea said once she closed the door. "Mentioned something about going out with a couple of people named Inez and Sydney." She repeated what Y/n had said to her.

"Those are her new friends," Taylor replied, soon looking up at her mother and smiling.

She didn't notice it at first, but Andrea saw the sad look on her daughter's face. She could only assume something was going on with Y/n, she just wasn't sure what it could be. She hasn't heard anything about this relationship in months.

"Is everything okay? You seem distracted and upset about something." She pointed it out before sitting next to her. She knew her daughter well; this meant a lot to her. "Did something happen with Y/n?"

"No, and that's the problem."

"What do you mean, Taylor?"

"I miss her," Taylor replied simply. That was super obvious. There was something deeper to this. She was afraid to say it; Y/n could come in at any moment and hear everything. It was just her mom, though; she wouldn't say anything. "I thought we wouldn't let something small like busy schedules get between us, but I guess I was wrong."

"Have you told her how you feel?"

"No, not exactly. Since I've been back, we've had two great moments where it felt like we never broke up. I didn't want to say something and mess that up."

"It wouldn't hurt to tell her what's going on." Andrea reminded her. Like many times before, she was right. Andrea was always right. It wouldn't hurt for Taylor to talk to her. The whole point of being best friends is being able to talk to each other about everything. After the breakup, it was difficult to remember that.

She'll talk to her when she gets home.

She got home to find Taylor sitting on the couch, admiring the tree like she was this morning. Taylor soon turned to look at Y/n once she heard her walk closer to the couch. She looked at her with a smile, wondering what Taylor had to talk to her about. Knowing Taylor and her surprises, this could be about anything.

Y/n returned the smile before sitting next to her friend. "I got your message; what's going on?" She questioned curiously, with a slightly worried tone.

"Do you miss us?" She asked curiously. Y/n looked at her with a confused expression, unsure of what she meant. So far, this conversation hasn't made any sense. "I mean, we dated for four years; do you miss that? We were great together."

Was this the thing that she thought Taylor wasn't telling her?

"I agree with you; I do. I guess the universe just had different plans for us." She replied and let out a sigh. She saw the look on Taylor's face. That look of questioning, trying to figure out if she wanted to rebel against the universe and make their happy ending.

She wanted nothing more than to hear that Y/n wanted to be with her after all. She knew that they were too in love to let something like a busy schedule get in the way of their happiness. That was all she wanted to hear.

"What happened to us, Y/n? What happened to our happiness?"

"Life, that's what happened."

That was the one thing she didn't want to hear. She loved Y/n more than anything, but it seemed like she just didn't want to admit it. Dating her wasn't that bad, was it? "I know what you're thinking, and that's not the case at all." Y/n quickly reassured. She grabbed Taylor's hand and looked at her with a smile. "You're the best relationship I've ever had, and I will die on that hill."

"Then why won't you date me now?"

"I lost you once, and I don't want to lose you again." She admitted. Taylor looked at her like she was expecting her to say anything other than that. She cleared her throat and stood up from her spot, Taylor watching as she did. "I'm going to go make dinner." She spoke and then walked into the kitchen.

She should have checked on her, but she knew to leave her alone too. At the moment, though, she had to check on her.

So, that's what she did.

————————
brooke speaks!

so this was kind of
a filler chapter but
i hope you enjoyed
it anyway! plus, I
actually got this
done before midnight,
that's a huge
improvement with time
management. hoping
for no mistakes! 🤞