♔ marry me? ♔

In means of keeping the secret from Avery, I had decided to propose on Valentine's Day.

She'd woken to my typical surprises on February 14th — roses, chocolates, and a pretty dress. She didn't know, however, that the scarlet gown was what she would get engaged in.

Her matching heels clicked lightly on the deck of the cruise ship as we walked back to our room. Her arm was looped around mine, her head resting against my shoulder.

We'd been on the ship for over a week now, and I could tell the exhaustion was catching up with her.

But I'd had to do it today.

Seeing as it was the last day of our anniversary trip, it only seemed fitting to pop the question here.

"Did you notice," she asks me, "that the waitress kept giving you funny glances?"

My shoulders stiffen, and I hope she doesn't notice.

Before tonight, I'd been planning to propose over dinner. But there were so many people gathered in dining tables around us. Although I wouldn't have minded, Avery was always telling me that she wanted the moment to be intimate — just for the two of us.

So, last minute, I'd slipped the ring box from the waitress and returned it to my pocket.

I was going to propose in our room.

And, hopefully, she'd love it.

Brushing aside her comment with a smile, I said, "She was just checking me out, Heiress."

Her hand tightened around my arm, warmer than usual in my fitted suit. "I can't believe her," she says. "It was obvious that we were on a date."

Laughing, I kiss the side of her head and murmur, "There's no reason to get upset."

Avery took my advice and tried to brush it off.

As we walked down a hallway, either end showcasing the brilliant blue ocean waters, we neared our suite.

Nerves gathered in my chest and I pushed them away.

I knew she'd say yes.

And yet, my hand still shook as it unlocked the door.

"Avery," I murmured. "Will you wait outside a minute?"

"Why?" Her eyebrows perked up in interest.

Pulling her to the side of the door, I said, "I need to do something. It'll be fast."

Avery placed a hand on her hip. "Jameson —"

"Trust me, Heiress."

There must have been a pleading in my eyes, because she reluctantly stepped aside. I could tell she wasn't happy with my lack of information, but the least I could do was make the backdrop of our engagement more romantic.

Leaving her outside, I gathered up the candles I'd intended to use afterward, and lit them one by one. I scattered them between the two windowsills overlooking the sea. Then, hoping she wouldn't notice, I stole two roses from Avery's bouquet and littered our bed with them.

It's the least I could do, and really, the only thing, considering I didn't have my regular options from home.

"Jameson?" she called through the door. "I smell smoke."

Smiling, I crossed the room and opened the door. "Indeed you do."

Avery took my hand without looking down. Her eyes were trained on the little details I'd added to the room.

Her eyes were unreadable.

Finally, she said, "This is what you had to do?"

I nodded, guiding her father into our room. It was large enough that the candles and petals didn't seem to do much. But Avery seemed to like them.

Turning to me, she said, "This is romantic."

"It's Valentine's Day, isn't it?"

Laughing, Avery bent to collect two rose petals. "This feels like too much for Valentine's Day, Jameson."

"I'm a Hawthorne," I murmured, slipping my hand into my pocket. "I don't do anything halfway."

Avery's eyes followed my hand as I slowly removed a small velvet box. It matched both her dress and her heels — not to mention the roses I'd gifted her.

Avery's lips stalled, a breath caught between her teeth.

"Is that —"

"Exactly what you think it is," I murmured.

Avery suddenly glanced around the room. Her eyes skipped from the flowers to the candles and then back to her dress. "I should have guessed."

"But you didn't." Smirking, I said, "I one-upped you."

"You wish," she replied, a hand on her hip.

I dropped to one knee, grinning. "I hope you know," I murmured, flipping the box open to showcase an oval-cut diamond ring, "that if you say yes to me, you're agreeing to lose at poker for the rest of your life."

Avery smiled, bending to kiss me hard. "And I hope you know," she said, "that you're agreeing to lose at chess for the rest of your life."

"Sounds painful," I said, "but I can handle it."

"You'll also be losing scrabble, bowling, and quite possibly your dignity," she warned.

I smirked. "I don't care."

"Why not?"

"Because," I murmured, "I won the girl." Offering her my hand, I planted a kiss on her knuckles. "And I do hope you'll give me the pleasure of being your husband."

"Yes." Avery kissed me, and while she did so, I slid the ring onto her left hand. I didn't think she'd even looked at it.

But I supposed it didn't matter.

She was billionaire, after all. If she wanted diamond jewelry, she could have as much as she wanted.

But I knew she didn't care.

All she wanted was me.

And perhaps the last name Hawthorne.