Chapter 9 - The Predator Within

Wayne frowned, unable to understand why all of his wolf pups found it more convenient to pile up on top of him for their slumber rather than their mother.

He lay, wide-eyed and bloodshot as he tried to relax himself to a state of sleep - a task he had been unable to do since the sun rose. But now, he felt the lethargy begin to overtake him. His breathing calmed and his eyelids grew heavy. Yes, he could finally feel himself begin to drift into sleep. But, just as he was able to close his eyes, the shrill yell of an alarm woke him up with a start. His wolf pups did not wake, but instead howled, long and loud, as the noise continued. Wayne grumbled and his paw reached out to grab the yelling skeleton-head phone that was on the dresser. Picking it up, he spoke into the receiver.

"I didn't order a wake-up call," he growled.

"Count Dracula arranged it for all the rooms," the witch on the other side answered. Wayne rolled his eyes and curled back into sleep. But the phone began to ring again. He growled in annoyance.

"Darn it, where's the snooze button?!"

"There will be no snoozing," the skeleton telephone answered. "The party's today!" It rang out its yelling alarm, leaving the wolfman no choice but to get up and prepare.

***

As the tired wolf sluggishly made his way out of bed, other guests - human and monster alike - began to prepare themselves for the party as well.

The living brain scrubbed itself clean in the shower. The skeleton family polished their bones. Griffin shaved himself and powered his tush. A few of the witches ditched the maid outfits and adorned themselves with some glowsticks.

In her room, Mavis was contemplating on what outfit to put on. Most of her wardrobe, like her father's, had been the same for centuries. But this was going to be a big party, one with monsters and humans, and she wanted to change it up a bit. She thought about it for a moment, and then an idea clicked in her head. Grabbing some fabric, Mavis quickly cut and sewed together a brand new countess cape, a silk-magenta color lining the inside just like Drac's that went down her back as far as her knees. She gave herself a once over and smiled approvingly. This would do.

A knocking at the door of her room drew her attention, and she peered through the peephole. Mavis smiled as she saw who it was and gladly opened the door. Johnny was there, grinning and rocking back and forth on the heels of his feet. He stopped when he took notice of her outfit.

"Wow..." he breathed. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks," she replied with a blush, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "You look pretty cool, too." She gestured at the different clothes he was wearing. He had ditched the yellow shirt and khaki shorts for some dark apparel. His face was painted a light grayish-blue and his hair was sticking straight up.

Johnny shrugged. "I figured since it's a monster-mash, I may as well go all out!"

Mavis giggled. "Whatever you say, JohnnyStien," she joked. "I can't wait to see the party."

"Yeah, me too," Johnny said, holding out his hand so that she could take it. "I think you're going to love all the little touches that were made."

And she did.

Mavis was fascinated by all the bright lights and glittering decorations. She was taken by pleasant surprise at the music. It was not the regular classical tones that the zombie Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach would play. Instead, it was a raving beat, pumping throughout the ballroom from a sound system at the stage. Her uncles Frank, Murray, Wayne, and Griffin were on the stage singing along to the beat and playing their instruments - Frank on guitar, Wayne on piano, Murray on the bass, and Griffin on the drums. Everyone who was already there were having a grand time, moving and jumping along to the song.