"Maeve," Tommy called her over. Maeve kept her head down and walked through to her uncles office, leaning against the wall. "Have you thought about going out?"

Maeve shook her head, "i don't want to."

Tommy crossed his arms. "Because you're afraid or because you're ashamed?" He asked.

She looked up at him harshly. "I'm scared..but not of anything Tommy, of myself." She admitted, "i'm scared that if I leave this house, i'll throw myself in the canal."

"That took a dark turn," Tommy sighed, sitting down.

"I killed someone who used to be my best friend, all because he was winding me up and i'd had enough. Imagine what effect that is having on me?"

"I understand what you're saying Maeve but you need to go outside- what about school?"

"Dad's withdrew me permanently, i'm not going back." She told him. Tommy nodded and thought for a moment, "i'm about to ask you something and I need you to think before you answer me."

"Go on."

"What is it that would make you happy?" He asked, tilting his head. Maeve stared down at her legs and racked her brain for an answer. "Knowing what was wrong with me."

Tommy knew she'd have an answer like that. "What would you say if i told you I could answer that?"

"I'd say you seem ridiculous for thinking you're a god for knowing the answer because it's a simple answer, Thomas. I'm my fathers daughter and i spin out of control."

Tommy almost smiled at her remark. She was still in there somewhere. "Okay and what if I told you that the boy out there," he nodded. Maeve glanced out of the window of the office, "has turned up here every day for three weeks, asking about you."

"I'd say he is also stupid."

"Do you really think he's stupid or are you just trying to hide the fact you're happy he cares? Just because you're a Shelby don't mean you aren't allowed to be happy."

"If i'm allowed to be happy, if we are allowed to be happy. Why does the world keep throwing the impossible at us, Tom? Answer that."

Tommy shrugged, "because the world knows that we can take on the impossible, Maeve."

"You sound like Isiah's dad," Maeve scoffed, shaking her head and reaching for the door handle, "thanks for the pep talk," she said sarcastically, leaving the room.

Isiah finally looked at her again and thought of something to say. "I've not seen you in ages," he said stupidly, watching a frown appear on her face.

Finn shook his head and kept his eyes on the book. "Are you okay?" Isiah asked, stepping away from Finn and putting his full attention on her. Maeve shrugged, "i'm getting there."

Isiah nodded, "that's good, Maeve. It's really good. I've stopped by a few times but John told me you didn't want visitors."

"Yeah i heard, sorry about that." Maeve said awkwardly.

"It's almost Christmas, Maeve." Isiah reminded her, "i wanted to take you out somewhere, i hope it's not too late..would you like to?" Isiah asked hopefully.