Chapter 5

This started out as a short story but i think it may end up as a series lol.

Keep fanning and voting x

Chapter 5

For the next few days, Abby was on cloud nine. She was starting to feel stronger after her last bout of chemo and she couldn't get her encounter with Gabe out of her mind. 

Every time someone knocked on the door, her heart would skip a beat and her face would beam, only to be disappointed when Helen or one of the other nurses walked in. 

By the end of the week she was beginning to think she had dreamed the whole episode and gave up watching the door. She was beating herself up for thinking such a hot guy would be interested in her. She reasoned that he only stopped to talk to her to be polite, or he felt sorry for her. Even the news from Dr Powell that the potential donor had agreed to more tests didn't lift her spirits. 

Friday evening, she was lying on her bed in jeans and t shirt watching entertainment news on the TV, when there was a knock on the door. Her call to come in was less than enthusiastic, she didn't even take her eyes off the screen to see who it was. 

She heard the door open and close, but still didn't bother looking.  

"Well, that's not much of a greeting!" 

Her head jerked round and her face lit up. "Gabe!" She shrieked and swung her feet round to get off the bed.

He stepped forward quickly. "That's more like it, but don't get up I'm not sure you should be jumping around." He bent over and gave her a peck on the cheek without a thought. 

As he sat on the edge of the bed he noticed she was holding a hand up to her cheek and blushing. It was then that he realised what he had done, "Shit Abby! I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking it just seemed natural to do that." 

"No, no it's fine." She waved a hand at him dismissing it. "It was nice." She said more quietly and blushed again. 

He grinned at her like an idiot and she felt herself getting all mushy again. She stared at him and realised that he was wearing the baseball cap and shades again. 

"Erm as much as I like the cool dude look, do you think you could take your shades off? It would be nice to see your eyes." 

"Oh! Yeah, sorry." He answered pulling off his glasses. "I sometimes forget I have them on, force of habit." He grimaced. 

She gave him a questioning look, but anything she might have asked him left her head as he took the shades off and their eyes met. He had the most vivid green eyes she had ever seen. 

He shifted awkwardly under her intense gaze. "So, how are you feeling?"  

His voice brought her back to earth with a start. 

"I'm getting stronger which is good. I can walk around the ward and grounds a bit now, no invalid wheelchair for a bit." 

"Cool." He grinned at her. "Oh hey, I brought you a present." He felt around in his jacket pocket and pulled out an IPhone. 

She was speechless and just gaped at him. 

"It's mainly so you can listen to the music I promised you. I was going to bring in cd's but then wasn't sure if you'd be able to play them in here. Then I thought if I bring you an iPhone, not only can you listen to the music I downloaded, but it would make it easier for us to keep in contact......" He stopped speaking when he saw her eyes fill up with tears. 

She sniffed then shot up off the bed and hugged him. "Oh Gabe, I don't think anyone has given me such a wonderful gift! Thank you! Thank you!" 

He put his arms round her tentatively, she seemed so small and delicate he was afraid she might break. But he definitely enjoyed the feel of her body against his, as did a certain part of his anatomy located in his groin, which made him pull away from her quickly. (Hell that was so inappropriate sitting on a hospital bed)!  

He started fumbling in his pockets again and pulled out a charger and earphones. "Here you go, so you don't disturb the other patients. I've loaded a mixture of bands onto there, random stuff that I thought you might like. Let me know if there is anything else you want on there. I've put my number in it as well. That is if you ever want to give me a call." He gave her a questioning look. 

Abby realised that he needed to hear her say that she wanted to stay in contact, which made her heart leap. 

"Of course I would like to stay in contact with you, I only get to speak to doctors and nurses, it will be so cool to have a friend to chat to." 

"Me too!" He said gently as their eyes locked again. 

They spent the rest of the evening listening to the tracks Gabe had loaded onto her phone. She recognised a lot of the bands and Gabe gave her a potted history of the ones she didn't and why he had chosen them. She was amazed at the depth of his knowledge of the music industry and just assumed that someone who sold records for a living just got to know this stuff. 

Gabe was in the middle of a story about one particular band when he noticed she was struggling to keep her eyes open and stopped. 

"Hey Abby, I didn't mean to tire you out so much, I had better go, you need your rest."  

She hadn't realised that she was drifting off to sleep until she felt his hand brush her cheek, her eyes flickered open. 

"I'm sorry to be a party pooper." She sighed. 

He smiled at her. "You're not, but you need to sleep." 

"I know and thanks for spending so much time with me, and for the present." 

He leaned forward and his lips brushed her cheek. "Goodnight Abby. I'll send you a text to let you know when I can come in again." 

He walked to the door and turned to take one more look at her. She looked so beautiful curled up on the bed and he was going to do everything in his power to help her get well again.