xvi. MAN OVERBOARD!

ابدأ من البداية

      Just as Jee is about to speak, they notice Iroh standing behind them.

Jee quickly leaps to his feet. "General Iroh. We were just-"

     "It's okay," Iroh reassures. He understands that Zuko isn't the easiest to love. And to like is even more challenging. "May I join you?"

"Of course," Jing-hai welcomes.

      When Iroh sits, he massages his beard. Then, after a beat, he finally talks. "Try to understand. My nephew is a complicated young man. He has been through much. Now, I have come to understand that you like stories. I do too. So let me tell you about how Zuko got his scar."

Jing-hai's interest piques. She shuffles closer to the fire.

      "Some years ago, I imagine around the same time as your own tale took place, Princess Jing, Zuko wanted to be just like his father. So much so that when my brother, the Fire Lord, began his wars, Zuko wanted to listen in. After all, he was promised to rule the Fire Nation one day. So when my nephew asked me to take him into the war room, I obliged. I warned the Prince not to speak out of turn but...he didn't listen. One of the Generals was discussing their latest ploy: to sacrifice an army of young recruits in order to distract the Earth Kingdom defences. Zuko was quick to come to their aid and call out the General for betraying his Nation but...the Fire Lord didn't appreciate this. Zuko was right, you see, but it was not his place to speak out. And there were dire consequences," Iroh recalls. His face contorts with remorse. He tells the story as though it brings him great pain. "After Zuko's outburst in the meeting, the Fire Lord became very angry with him. He said the challenge against the General was an act of complete disrespect. And there was only one way to resolve this."

Jee's eyes widened. "Agni Kai. A fire duel."

"Like the one he had with Zhao?" Jing-hai frowns. She remembered thinking how cruel a Nation to crown victor the one who kills. "But...he was a child."

      Iroh nods sorrowfully. "That's right. Zuko looked upon the old General he had insulted and declared that he was not afraid. But Zuko misunderstood. When he turned around to face his opponent, he was surprised to see that it was not the General. Zuko had spoken out against the General's plan, but by doing so in the Fire Lord's War Room, it was the Fire Lord whom he had disrespected. Zuko would have to duel his own father. When my nephew saw that it was Ozai who had come to duel him, he begged for mercy. Ozai tried to get him to fight but Zuko refused. So my brother taught him a lesson he wouldn't forget."

He burned him.

      No wonder Zuko was the way that he was! He was taught that love came in the form of mutilation and mistakes were something alien. Jing-hai felt sick to her stomach.

"I always thought that Prince Zuko was in a training accident," Jee admits quietly.

"I always believed he deserved it," Jing-hai adds. She feels guilty now for having even thought it knowing the harrowing truth. The girl looks to the ground. She has a hard time swallowing her shame.

      "It was no accident," Iroh shakes his head. His once blithe voice sounded as weary as he looked. "After the duel, the Fire Lord said that by refusing to fight, Zuko had shown shameful weakness. As punishment, he was banished and sent to capture the Avatar. Only then could he return with his honour."

     The crewmates exchange grave expressions ━━━━━━ none quite so grim as Jee's. He nods slowly. "So that's why he's so obsessed. Capturing the Avatar is the only chance he has of things returning to normal."

"Things will never return to normal," Iroh replies quickly. Then, a little softer, "But the important thing is the Avatar gives Zuko hope."

       Jing-hai felt her chest squeeze. The girl knew that by what she was doing (protecting her friends, sabotaging Zuko's hunt, thwarting his plans), she was doing the right thing. But then why did it feel this way? Like the scales had tipped in the Prince's favour and her friends were losing their balance. No matter how much pain Jing-hai tries to prevent, someone always gets hurt. Why was it up to her to decide who gets stung the most? No. Jing-hai needed stop him. She didn't care whether or not he restored his honour. This was Zuko she was talking about! She hated-...no, hates Zuko. And she loves Katara and Sokka and even Aang. So the waterbender knows what she must do.