Chapter 18- New Semester, New Beginnings, New Journeys

Start from the beginning

" I wasn't sure any of you would be able to come all the way to the Northern Arabs for a wedding. " Mae says.

" Oh come on, you have Ashanti as your friend and you think she wouldn't show up? Even if the rest wouldn't make it, this kid has enough money to fly straight there and probably give a couple of them a lift as well." Naa Djormo teases.

" I guess so."

" Hey so does Veronica know?" Praise asked knowing they were best friends.

" No, I couldn't tell her since she was going through a very nerve-racking moment in her life. Where is she anyway?"

" She said she was going out for a walk ... alone. She'll get over it soon but it will really hurt for a while." Ciarra states.

" What's with these two best friends and getting married?" Sabina asked from her bed where she was reading Les Miserables and still miraculously paying attention to their conversation.

" I know right? Next time any more of you are getting married, at least give us a headstart. I mean look at the two of you, you got married first and yet you two are now the gloomiest in the house."

" Is he okay with you attending a school several miles from him?" Myra asked.

" He actually acknowledges the fact that he just invaded my life so he's ready to wait for me until I graduate."

" Awwwn, that's so sweet. He sounds so matured, how old is he?" Vera swoons.

" He's six years older." Mae discloses.

" 21 but smart. But what if you like someone here on campus?" Nalikem hints folding up her white laundry.

" I don't know about that. But we're supposed to be married for life so I'll have to rethink that." Mae explained as she put on her new glasses.

" Was the new spectacles a gift from him?" Lartifa teased.

" No." Mae chuckled, " Kweiba told me I looked dorky in those frames so I told my mom to get me a new one."

" Talk about that girl, where is Kweiba?" Kelinam asked, " She owes me two cedis from last semester."

Faye realized Kweiba's been MIA for way too long. Was everything okay with her?

What about Heather, had she quit school? Because her community was filled with such dropouts.

" Guys, the bins are full of toilet paper but it's too late to send them to the incinerator so please do that first thing tomorrow." Anita stepped out of her cabin and said.

" Aye- aye captain." Healenore mock salutes.

" You're in an extra mood today. Hope you keep it through the semester. " Anita smiled, " Welcome back girls."

The bell for dining rings and they all groan.

" I wonder what they're serving us today." Wathoni says with an eye roll.

" Stone soup, that's what it is." Kelinam says grabbing her lunch bag as everyone reached for theirs.

Veronica sat alone on one of the benches close to the Morning Café and practically cried her eyes out while the ghastly northeast trade winds dried up her tears almost immediately after they fell. She literally wailed and her head pounded as if someone was banging it with a baseball bat. Her heart ached in a way she'd never felt before. The cold night wasn't even phasing her out. She hated losing things and this moment felt worse than the day she met her father who plainly denied knowing her.

Why did he have to leave?

Ruby Baeta called Ms Bella to check up on her daughter, so after dining Ms Bella walked into Dorm 1 Sey asking of Veronica's whereabouts.