Chapter 18- New Semester, New Beginnings, New Journeys

Start from the beginning

" Fight song. Rachel Platten." Maryanne recalled.

" Like a small boat on the ocean
Sending big waves into motion
Like how a single word
Can make a heart open
I might only have one match
But I can make an explosion." Joy sings so fondly and Vera nodded.

" And all those things I didn't say
Were wrecking balls inside my brain
I will scream them loud tonight
Can you hear my voice this time? " Vera continues and everyone who knew the sing picked up after them.

" This is my fight song (hey)
Take back my life song (hey)
Prove I'm alright song (hey, ha)
My power's turned on (hey)
Starting right now, I'll be strong (hey)
I'll play my fight song (hey)
And I don't really care if nobody else believes (ha)
'Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me"

The culprits stared from afar and wondered how the Manhattan house girls could still find joy in all of this. The Manhattan house was really a united, impenetrable forte, you just couldn't pull them down.

Veronica was too depresses to do anything so the girls excused her and allowed her to sleep, Heather was still not on campus, so was Kweiba. Others were replacing the flowers in the garden with violets, salamanders, hyacinths and dalias.

The work was intense but with almost three hundred hands on deck, they were done by dusk. Still, at least ten other girls weren't present. That was when Mae showed up. She had something on her hands as she lay her bed.

" Dude..." Ashanti points.

" What's that?" Sarah asked walking over to her.

" It's Henna." Lartifa remarks drawing closer to observe it, " It's not just henna ..."

" I'm married. " Mae discloses and suddenly everyone turns to look at her.

" Wooow, D-ramaaa. Hold your horses kids, we just started a new semester." Joy reminds them.

" Who, when, h-how, and most importantly why?" Healenore panicked.

" Healenore, relax and go search for your inhaler before you explode." Wathoni says and Healenore quickly realized how worked up she was and quickly went for her inhaler from her backpack.

" I'm sorry I didn't tell you girls. It was a family thing."

" I get that but we tell each other everything. Faye went through one of the most painful experiences and she told us about everything." Ciarra tells her.

" I know. And I also know you girls. I know that if you realize I don't want to go through with this wedding, you will all do everything possible to make sure it doesn't happen."

" Hell yeah we will!" Ashanti exclaimed.

" Why Mae?" Kathryn asked.

" It was a family thing as I said. I was betrothed to him ever since I was ten and we were to get married when I turned eighteen but turns out his father willed everything he owned to him but he was only allowed to access it if he was married and his father passed away two weeks ago."

" So what, you're his ticket to his father's money?" Faye asked.

" It's not what you guys are thinking Rahman isn't like that. He's a very kind and polite person but he has a very horrible uncle who is to watch over the company for him by law until he gets married and this man is really crazy. In two days after Rahman's father's passing, he auctioned one of their firms."

" Oh so it became imperative for you two to get married." Ciarra comprehends.

" Exactly."

" But you could have told us at least." Sarah sighs.