Shen Yuying was helpless and just sigh, she gave the bag to Gu Kai. She always have a good impression of him, not like his brothers and sisters.

She smiled at Gu Kai and said her thanks.

The others turned to look at them, Gu Yan frowned.

He liked the pretty Shen Yuying, he had a good impression on her, but he wasn't the type to do labor.

So looking at Gu Kai helping Shen Yuying he was both relieved and nervous.

Does he like Shen Yuying too?

His thoughts were interrupted by Gu Yao elbowing him. "Why do you keep looking at her?" She asked.

She's annoyed at Shen Yuying, base on the stories she heard from Shen Yumei, she wasn't a good person.

She wouldn't let her brother fell for that  fake woman. She hates her pretentious face trying to look magnanimous.

Looking at her younger brother,  she shake her head, she decided to talk to him later and remind him not to fall for that fake woman.

No matter what she felt right now, Shen Yuying just continued walking not caring about her.

"Why are you bringing such a big bag? Aren't we going to get our ration?" Gu Kai turned to look at Shen Yuying.

He was curious about the items inside the bag, its quite heavy.

He had thought it was light judging by how Shen Yuying carried it without a sweat.

Shen Yuying turned to him and replied " This is the grain I sent from home. I'm going to exchange it with the captain so I don't have to borrow foods."

Everyone turned to look at her, they were also curious about the items in the bag but they didn't want to ask.

Now that they're told it is grain, they're even more confused.

Why does she want to change it when she already has grains?

Looking at their confused faces, Shen Yuying just shrugged her shoulders.

Seeing that she doesn't want to explain further, they just kept quiet and made their way to the village office.

As most of the residents are working in the farm, they didn't meet anyone except for a few small children running here and there.

After walking for a few minutes,  they arrived in front of the village office.

Gu Yan as the eldest of the group lead everyone inside the office and looked for the captain.

After greeting everyone present in the office they walked to where the Captain seated.

"Village Captain, we are here to ask for our ration. Comrade Lu Jianguo told us to come here after lunch." Gu Yan respectfully told the Captain.

Looking at his humble appearance the Captain nodded his head.

"Ah! You're just in time. We have discussed with the other cadres about your ration. There's still few months before the harvest and we can only give you coarse grain right now".

Some of them visibly went stiff and others can't help frowning.

Especially the 3 Gu siblings, they don't usually eat coarse grain at home. And now they're told they can only have coarse grain while staying in the countryside.

It is indeed hard to accept. 

Wang cousins weren't favored at home, so they usually eat coarse grain. For them being freed by their family is already good, eating coarse grain is nothing.