Chapter 14

Carrying the basket and lunch box, Shen Yuying then got out of the State owned restaurant and went to the Supply and marketing cooperatives.

   Although she wasn't planning to buy anything,  She just wants to observe, check the prices and satiate her curiosity. 

     She stood in front of the store, the walls paint has already chipped and faded just like any other storefronts. There are slogans hanging everywhere,  a characteristic of this era.

   The Supply and marketing cooperatives sells most of the things the people needs. Shen Yuying walked inside, and there are few people buying things.

    The interior is very similar to the later generations small shops,  you can't directly touch the items as they were kept in the glass cabinets.

   When Shen Yuying was buying materials from the system,  she tried her best to find old fashioned looking ones. So from looking at these products in the cabinets,  she could say they're quite similar looking.

   If not, she could just use sandpaper and erase the print, chop soap into small pieces,  who would be able to tell.

   The original owner also has some used materials, she can just refill them too, like beauty products and toothpaste.

   But it shouldn't be too bad, she'll just secretly take them out from space to use, instead of using the one she has right now so she doesn't have to refill everytime.

   And it's not like people will check your things one by one, just dont show it. So she left without buying anything.

    There was still places she needs to go. Grain station, non staple food store, and department store. 

   There was nothing special,  she has most of the things displayed, in the cabinets. Even the watch on display is quite similar to what she has on space.

     And she even went to check the bookstore. There wasn't much selection,  now its sensitive time and the Red guards are burning books everywhere.

   But she still found some high school books, although not complete.  She'll just have to do with it, and slowly buy in the future.

  " I am also curious about the black market but it's already 3 in the afternoon. I will need to go early tomorrow to check it out." Shen Yuying thought.

   If she goes to the countryside,  it's even more difficult to get tickets. Its ok if She's buying alone, and she can just take it from the space, but if she's buying with other people, she will atleast need some tickets.

   She went to a corner,  taking out some vegetables from space place them in the basket and cover them with cloth.

   You need to show people in the building that you bought foods, but cover them so they won't see what's inside.

   There's no privacy in the building,  If you won't cook, youll be talked about,  and when you cook it shouldn't be better than what their family has.  Or else you'll have a problem.

   It's truly hard to live in this era, good thing I have this golden finger. Or else I would be living such miserable life and scarce materials.

   Walking back to the house with hurried steps, there are actually many people sitting outside. Now it's summer time and here in the east although we're closer to the north the weather is hot and humid. The winters are dry and cold.

   With these conditions, the people feel stifled when they're at home and goes outside to relax and talk with the neighbors nonstop.

   Many people tries to crane their neck trying to find out the items in the basket. Shen Yuying ignores most of them, and greeted some elders on the way until she got home.

  It was truly too hot today, even she feels a little uncomfortable.  She immediately locked the door, flashed into the space to soak into a tub of spiritual spring.

   After awhile, Shen Yuying felt refreshed and went on to do her routine, putting lotions and cream. Treating her dry hair, and put on clothes.

   She checked the conditions of the animals,  they have automatic feeders, so I don't worry about them not eating enough. They growing quite well, it makes me happy looking at them.

   The space will automatically expel all kinds of waste every 24 hours. So i only needbto check if they are healthy and comfortable inside the space.

     After making sure they are fine. Shen Yuying flashed out of space.  It's 4 in the afternoon,  still early to start dinner, so she decided to start packing.

   It will be hard to carry alot of things in the train. So she'll mail these packages in the village. It'll be ready to pick up by the time she arrive in the countryside.

    She started packing rice, flour, dried noodles, cornmeal, bacon, air dried meat, a few bottle of pastes, sauces and pickles. She also pack a new pot, pan, an old coal stove wrapped in newspaper, and  a few catties of coals.

   She also pack her clothes, padded jackets, cotton trousers, shoes, she added some cloths,  jiefang shoes, cotton boots and rain boots, she wrapped them up in her parents old quilt and put in sack.

  There were a total of 2 sacks and they're quite heavy.

   She will be moving out so it's understandable she'll have many things to take with her. After sorting things out, its already been 5 in the afternoon.

   She prepares the ingredients and went to the kitchen in the corridor to cook. Their family owns 2 coal stoves, a pot and a pan. She took the coal stove in the package but there's still 1 left at home.

  It's enough for her to use as she's only staying for a few more days. And she usually just cook one type of food. Its was quite different to when the original owner's parents are still alive.

  Tonight shell have vegetable soup for dinner, she'll just pretend she has some leftover bread from lunch. Nobody will look inside when shes eating anyway.

  While cooking,  she was greeted by Aunt Wu from next door.

"Xiaoshen, what are you making for dinner? It smells good."

"Aunt Wu, I'll have some vegetable soup for dinner,  I still have a leftover bread from lunch, so I'll just eat it together."

"Oh! Where did you get such good vegetables ". She said while leaning on the pot.

She looks like she's drooling, so I pulled her gently with a tinge of disgust in her her eyes. What if you'll drool on my food, what should i do. But instead she said to Aunt Wu while smiling.

  "Aunt Wu don't get too close, the soup is hot and you might get burned." Reminding her kindly. But mad in her heart.

  "Aunt Wu I just got lucky today and found some leftover vegetables when I went to the market today." Slowly explaining to her.

   "Why didn't I get such good vegetables  when I went out to buy. Do you still have some left Xiaoshen? Can you lend Auntie some and I will return it to you  when I buy them next time." Her abacus is already crackling in her mind.

   Bah! Who doesn't know that you're the number 1 stingy in this whole building.  You borrow things and won't return  them unless asked a few times. Borrow one and return half, ah bad luck to meet her today.  But of course Shen Yuying won't really say it, and just keep it to herself.

   "I'm sorry Aunt Wu, I was only able to buy a few pieces of vegetables. " hurriedly tidied her things and then said " Aunt Wu, Im already done here, I'll go ahead.

" Ok you go slowly Xiaoshen" Aunt Wu said but you can still see her fake smile.

As soon as she closed the door, she went to the space to eat in peace. Taking out some already cooked foods she has and eat them together.

   Outside the door, In the common kitchen. Mrs. Wu was still grumbling.  "Bah! Stingy! Just a few vegetables and refused to give. Stingy! Deathstar!"

  Too bad Shen Yuying, couldn't hear it, if she did, she might put some fist in Mrs Wu's face. But right now she's already enjoying her foods in the space.