Five Days Break - 18

Kotaro hit the ground hard. He didn't think of a landing strategy.

The crimson blade dropped a short distance away.

His body relaxed not caring about the growing aches or the swelling burns. Kuchiki had been defeated, that alone made the pain worth it.

Still...

The Nameless Evil Eye stayed awake. It didn't close despite the threat had been eliminated.

Kotaro titled his head, looking at the burning wooded mass combined by Kuchiki's body and other vessels' traits. He had a feeling the eye was trying to hint at something. His strongest resolve was to kill Kuchiki. The Evil Eye wanted to see it through to the end.

Was it really not over?

"Young Master!" His attention drifted to Saika, who came to his side. "You're okay, I'm glad."

Overjoyed, she wanted to give Kotaro a big warming hug. But Saika decided not to give in to her emotions. Kotaro was wounded, his clothes were already dampened with red stains, which spoke volumes of what he'd gone through. She'd refrain from touching him carelessly as not to cause more pain.

"You did well, Fuuma-kun." Asagi said with a smile on her face. She offered him a hand for support. "Can you stand?"

"Ack!"

His trembling hand fell back down, Kotaro groaned. Now that the adrenaline was gone, the exhaustion eventually caught up.

"I'll have the pilot pick us up. Emily will check on your wounds."

"Y-Yes."

"Let us take it from here, you can let the team know about the details once you get some rest." Saika added.

Kotaro would agree.

He can't drop his guard just yet, he has to make sure this whole thing is truly over. Biting the lip to brace through the injuries, he tried to get up, his gaze fixed on Kuchiki's burned corpse. He won't look away until the flame reduced that thing to ashes.

Saika read his thought, her arms went around Kotaro's back to hold him up. She would give a long look at his face, as if she was captivated by the right eye that finally sees the light of day.

"What is it?" Kotaro noticed.

"It's nothing." Saika wiped something wet from the corner of her eyes. "I'm just happy. You've finally achieved a milestone, my dearest Master."

Awakening a Ninja Art is a common thing for Taimanins.

Kotaro's case was not the same to those who struggled to find their own powers and saw the use of it as the sole purpose of their lives. There were others who knew how hard he had been trying and got no result.

In order to let go of the unhealthy obsession, to stop chasing after a Taimanin's standard, he eventually embraced the ideal that a life without Ninja Art was natural. He gave up, accepting his position as the Useless One-Eyed. Even with the desire to prove himself, Kotaro couldn't get stronger on his own. Which was why, becoming the Captain of the Task Force brought out the best in him.

That will change now. As a leading figure of the team and on his own, Fuuma Kotaro can finally become a capable Taimanin.

[Saika, come in.] Tokiko spoke up. [Did you find him?]

"Yes. I found him, the Young Master is wounded but he's okay. And good news! He's..."

Saika stopped the words as Kotaro held up his hand, signaling her not to speak out what she intended. The awakened Evil Eye stared into hers, she heard the unvoiced meaning behind his action.