Chapter Twelve: And Then There Were Three

As soon as Clove had woken up much like Cato had suspected she was completely icing him out. The entire morning, she'd only talked with Marvel, only giving him one-word responses to all of his questions. Even though Marvel had barely said anything he could tell he was judging him for how he reacted to Clove's pregnancy. He didn't miss the disgusted looks he'd given him after he'd pulled him off Clove the other day. But right now none of that mattered. After one day they were down to three. Much like he'd suspected Peeta had bailed, probably being on Katniss's side the whole time. Glimmer was dead, which left an awkward feeling around everyone, feeling as if their group was incomplete.

"Why don't we make our base at the cornucopia?" Clove suggested, "That way we can gather all the remaining supplies there and keep it for our own."

"You're a genius, Clover!" Cato exclaimed, trying not to show his hurt when she winced at the nickname she used to love.

"Maybe we can find someone from four on the way," Marvel suggested "We could use some other allies."

"The girl died from the tracker jackers yesterday," Cato said with a sigh "But I guess we could find the guy." They trudged along, carrying all their remaining supplies, all in a damp mood. Their mood was lightened when they got the cornucopia, all the remaining supplies were theirs.

"Score," Clove said with a smile, grabbing all the extra knives she could.

"District four guy is dead too," Marvel said "But I found a guy from three."

"He looks like a twig," Cato muttered with an eye roll.

"Yeah but he's smart," Marvel said "He said he can help us set up a trap for all our goods so no one besides us can get to them."

"Great," Cato said "Tell him to set it up I'm going to go find dinner."

"Need help?" Marvel asked.

"No stay with Clove." Cato said before turning to leave, talking about her as if she was a little kid who needed to be watched.

"I'm not a little kid," Clove muttered angrily, stabbing a knife into the ground.

"What did the ground do to you?" Marvel asked jokingly.

"Just imagining it's Cato's face," Clove said with a shrug "It's helping my anger." 

"Want to help me set up a fire?" Marvel asked. Clove nodded, silently helping him collect wood and instantly relishing in the warmth.

"I set up all the traps," The boy from three said nervously.

"What does it do?" Clove asked curiously.

"You can only access the materials if you step correctly if you step on one of the explosives you die."

"Great," Clove said with a smirk "Thanks, kid." He nodded, quietly sitting down a few feet away with them, clearly having no idea what to do with himself.

"How are you feeling?" Marvel asked quietly, his eyes focused on her stomach "Is the baby ok?"

"I think so," Clove said softly "I feel ok just a little nauseous."

"Is there anything I can do?" Marvel asked sweetly, feeling guilty that she seemed so uncomfortable and feeling angry that Cato wasn't doing shit. Clove shook her head

"I'll be fine," She said with a tired smile "Right now I just want to sleep."

 "I'll set up the tents and then you can sleep after we eat," Marvel said, standing up.

"Thank you, Marvel," Clove said gratefully "You're the best." Only two tents remained and Clove dreaded having to share a tent with Cato, he'd probably insist upon it and then try to kill her in her sleep. Cato came back, carrying some form of bird a large grin on his face.

"I got dinner!" He shouted, "And killed some kids."

"Twelve?" Marvel asked hopefully and Cato shook his head, frowning. Clove immediately felt herself grow nauseous at the smell of the bird over the fire and gagged, instantly rushing to the woods. She felt a crunch of leaves behind her and she sighed.

"I'm fine Marvel," She grumbled "Leave me alone."

"It's not Marvel," Cato said, surprising her.

"Oh." She said dumbfounded.

"Is there anything I can do?" Cato asked as Clove stood up wiping her mouth off. Clove wanted to do nothing but forgive him and jump into his arms. But he'd hurt her too much. If Marvel and Peeta hadn't been there she would've been dead. And that scared her, it terrified her.

"I'm fine," Clove said in a clipped tone, turning around and marching back to the campsite. Sitting down beside Marvel and reluctantly eating a piece of meat, gagging on it.

"Do you want some water?" Marvel offered and she nodded, thanking him as he handed her a cup. Cato returned a few minutes later, wordlessly handing Clove a roll of bread and some berries.

"Are these poisonous?" She questioned snarkily. Cato rolled his eyes

"Brutus sent them to me and I figured you could use them."

"Thanks," Clove said, her eyes softening.

"Yeah," Cato said wistfully, taking a seat beside her, and gently laying a hand on her shoulder. Clove didn't push him away but refused to entertain him, focusing most of her energy on talking with Marvel.

"I'm going to head to sleep," Clove eventually told Marvel "Goodnight." She climbed into the tent, snuggling into the sleeping bag, and instantly falling asleep. She woke up a few hours later instantly feeling cold, shivering at the temperature drop. Cato was fast asleep beside her, seemingly unbothered by the temperature drop. Clove continued to shiver, her quiet noises eventually waking Cato up. He wordlessly, pulled her to his chest, his body instantly warming her. Too tired to even fight him, Clove rested her head against his chest letting herself fall asleep.