Chapter Ten: The Cornucopia

Clove's eyes searched around the second she was brought up. Woods surrounded them, a giant cornucopia sitting in front covered in weapons. She met Cato's eyes, which were scarily dark, full of excitement. She didn't know if that scared her more than the fact that the Hunger Games was about to start. She kept her eyes locked on Cato's as the countdown began lunging off as soon as the games began. She made a beeline for her knives, instantly killing a few kids around her.

"I got fire girl!" Clove shouted, running for Katniss, lunging on top of her, barely missing her as she ran away. Once everyone had left, minus the careers and Peeta who had apparently teamed up with Cato, Clove felt her nausea rise up. Bodies were thrown across the ground, completely lifeless and pooling with blood. She didn't know if it was morning sickness or the sick feeling of blood that wasn't her's on her body but she felt herself running for the woods, ignoring the shouts of the fellow careers and falling to her knees, throwing up instantly. She heard the crunch of leaves, all the careers standing behind her, each with an unreadable expression on their face. Besides Cato, Cato just looked pissed.

"What the fuck Clover!" He shouted, "You can't just run off with no explanation!"

"I was throwing up dickhead!" She shouted back.

"Well, maybe they shouldn't have let a fucking child into the games who gets nauseous from killing people!" Cato screamed, earning eyebrow raises from the other careers.

"I'm not scared, I'm pregnant you idiot!" Clove shouted, instantly silencing everyone.

"What," Cato said, his voice dangerously low "How long have you known Clove?" Clove stayed silent, squeezing her eyes shut and hoping he'd just kill her right then and there. "I said how long have you fucking known!" He shouted, pushing her roughly against the tree, his hand encircling her neck.

"Since the night before the reaping," She choked back, fighting to stay awake as she got more and more dizzy.

"I'm going to fucking kill you." He spat in her ear, and he might've. Had Peeta and Marvel not practically pulled him off of Clove. Clove sunk to the ground, trembling as she held her head in her hands, too embarrassed to meet anyone's gaze. Cato got up, huffing and storming off with the small amount of dignity he had left, both Peeta and Marvel following him, hopefully trying to calm him down. She felt a rustle of leaves beside her as Glimmer quietly sat down, hesitantly laying a hand on her shoulder.

"Are you ok?" Glimmer asked softly, so differently from the flirty Glimmer she'd gotten used to.

"Does it look like I'm ok!" Clove spat back, instantly feeling regret for snapping at her as hurt covered her face.

"Sorry." Glimmer murmured.

"No I'm sorry for snapping," Clove said with a sigh "I'm just stressed."

"You can talk to me if you want," Glimmer said sweetly "Us girls have to stick together."

"Why are you being so nice to me?" Clove asked, "You were such a bitch at training."

"We all have to find a way to protect ourselves," Glimmer said "You weren't exactly welcoming either."

"I was just trying to protect myself," Clove said quietly "I didn't want anyone to know about the baby but I guess everyone does now."

"He's not mad you know," Glimmer said quietly

"Well he seemed pretty mad to me," Clove said bitterly "Almost killed me."

"He wouldn't of killed you," Glimmer said "He's just scared."

"How do you know that?" Clove asked.

"I tried to flirt with all the guys," Glimmer said with an eye roll "Don't look at me like I'm some flirt it's the way I survive, but Cato never flirted back."

"It seemed like he did," Clove said with an eye roll.

"Even if he did, his eyes were always on you," Glimmer said with a small smile "It doesn't take a genius to realize that he's in love with you."

"It doesn't matter the baby's going to die anyways," Clove said "There's no way I'm winning over him."

"You never know what might happen," Glimmer said wistfully "The world is full of surprises." That it was, and even though Clove was more terrified than ever it was slightly comforting to know that she had Glimmer on her side.