You Were Meant to be Near Me

CW: uhhhm, they're off the rails, folks. Like I wrote this, then last night I rewrote it because the characters had demands. Drug use, smut, lake sex, oral sex, discussions of homophobia and criminalization of 2SLGBTQQIA+ people, nightmares, angst...if I missed anything, let me know.

AN: Okay, I'm not sorry for this chapter at all. Don't come for me about the lake scene; pretend it's perfectly sanitary and move on. It's Tony's lake, after all. 

Don't forget to vote and comment!!! I miss you all!!!! 

"So...who is this?" Bucky asked, his head in her lap and his eyes glazed over.

"James Barnes," She grabbed his face and gave him an upside-down kiss, "are you high?"

"I..." he couldn't finish the statement because he'd already forgotten what it was he'd wanted to say.

"Nirvana."

"I mean, yeah, that's kind of...oh, wait, that's the band? Or how I'm feeling?"

Syndey laughed so hard she nearly fell off the sofa. Unconventional was practically the slogan for everything about them. Unconventional relationship, life, history, and therapy. So it wasn't exactly a surprise when Dr. Sterns had brought up medicinal marijuana for Bucky to try for anxiety. Like Syd had said when they got to the cabin, this time away from everyone could be the perfect time for him to try it.

They weren't sure it would even work, especially since he metabolized alcohol so quickly and needed adjusted levels of any medications because of the serum.

"I'm hungry. Do we have pizza? Can Happy bring us pie? Oh fuck, or burgers?"

It was definitely working.

"Yeah, Sugar. I'll put some in the oven. As for Nirvana. it's the band. They were my mom's favorite."

"Dance with me." He tried to stand up but fell back to the couch just as she managed to move from it and started giggling. "Okay, maybe just come here. Fuck, I love you, pretty girl."

"You're an adorable stoner. Steve is going to unalive me if he learns I got you high. He's gonna do it to Scott, too, if he finds out that's where we got some good West Coast weed."

"Nooooo, I like Scott! Once, he said he would tear himself in two, but he didn't! It was so crazy because, all of a sudden, he was like a million feet tall." His eyes closed as her hand traced over his face and through his hair, he turned his head toward her, "We could just stay here forever. Or anywhere. We don't have to go back, you know."

"We'll have to go back someday. Stevie's gonna miss you." She passed the joint back to him, he took a long pull and held it before blowing the smoke out in rings. "You'd miss Stevie, too."

"I would. He could visit, though.' He reached up, trying to catch one of the smoke rings. "He won't come with us, he's a fuckin' square."

"A square? Jesus. Adorable. Alright, so pizza, anything else you want, pretty boy?"