10. [metal]

Nine years ago (or something along those lines).

From the VIP isle, Sengoku glanced to the lodge in the bleachers in front of him, where the seats for the Admirals were arranged. Empty, as always.

He sighed. Despite the lines of different ranked officials filling the remaining spots, the Admirals never showed up to this kind of competition, except maybe the very finals of the sparring tournament. But surely not the shooting contest.

A pity, in his opinion, as the Marines were not composed of sole brawlers, and several young talents were to be found in the other categories every year.

And this year in particular, he thought, eyeing the contestants coming up in the field below as the speaker announced them.

«...YES, ALL KNOWN NAMES FOR THE COMPETITION, I MUST SAY. WILL JERRY GET FIRST PLACE FOR THE THIRD YEAR IN A ROW? AND HERE COMES NAMINEE, AS BEAUTIFUL AS SHE IS LETHAL. AND AFTER HER, A FIRST, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. NO FRESHMAN HAS EVER ENTERED THE CONTEST BEFORE.»

Sengoku watched as you stepped in the rig behind the older marines. Still too thin, slouched shoulders and unkept hair, tamed only by the marine hat. The practicing rifle seemed way too big in your hands.

He had heard of your skill with it, though. Terrible marks in all the other disciplines, so, if it weren't for your incredible talent with firearms, you would have been kicked out already. Still, entering the annual Marine Games as a first-year cadet was way too ambitious.

He did not miss how you shot a quick glance to the empty Admiral seats before turning your attention back to the field.

«NOW LET ME REMIND YOU THE RULES. INCREASINGLY DIFFICULT TARGETS ARE PLACED AT INCREASING DISTANCE IN EACH LANE. AFTER YOU CLEAR THE FIRST TARGET, YOU MAY MOVE AHEAD TO THE SECOND POSITION AND AIM AT THE SECOND ONE, AND SO ON. THE FIRST MARINE THAT HITS THEIR GOLDEN TARGET AND CUTS THE FINISHING LINE, WINS.»

As the contestants fell into place in the respective lanes, Sengoku noticed the other cadets glaring down at you. But you stared right ahead, hands gripping at the standard contest rifle.

«THE CONTESTANTS MAY TAKE POSITION. THREE... TWO... ONE...»

The ceremonial cannon signaled the start, and most of the shooters fired their weapon immediately, a number of first targets already bursting, allowing them to run to the second mark. But not you, as the rifle exploded in your hands as soon as you hit the trigger, knocking you back and in the dust of the field among boisterous laughter.

«LOOKS LIKE OUR FRESHMAN'S RIFLE DECIDED TODAY WAS NOT THE DAY.» the announcer chimed in the microphone, amusement evident in his voice.

Sengoku sighed.

A rigged weapon. Classic. It happened from time to time, and certainly to a first-year that had been too daring, the other contestants would see to that.

Loud laughter were still echoing on the bleachers as you slowly pulled yourself seated. The Fleet Admiral was far high in his spot, but even he could see your bleeding nose and the dirt on your face.

«AW, DON'T SULK LITTLE NEWBIE, YOU'LL DO BETTER NEXT YEAR! MEANWHILE, JERRY IS ALREADY CLEARING HIS FOURTH TARGET. HERE HE GOES!»

Without a word or an emotion crossing your dark expression, you slowly got on your feet. Then, to everyone's surprise, you sprinted ahead.

«NAMINEE ADVANCES AGAIN! AND— WAIT, HUH, WHAT'S THE NEWBIE DOING?»

Sengoku watched you jumping a third-year cadet in the third position from behind. As he tumbled ahead, you ripped the rifle from his hands. Then you turned and hit the first three targets in your lane in less than ten second.