1. [dirt]

Trigger warning: violence, disturbing scenes (nothing too graphic)

*

«So it will be Punk Hazard, huh?»

Aokiji nodded in the penumbra of the office, his squared features outlined by the candlelight.

Sengoku sighed, letting his back lean against the chair.

«You know Sakazuki won't hold back.»

«Then neither will I.»

The Fleet Admiral paused for a while before turning and picking something from the cabinet behind his desk. Then he placed an old bottle and two shot glasses on the mahogany surface.

«Would you like a drink? This is the second finest I have.»

The corners of Aokiji's mouth twitched upwards.

«What about the first finest?»

«I save it for when you'll be Fleet Admiral.»

The man let out a silent chuckle and grabbed one of the glasses, now filled with the pale liquid.

Sengoku brought his own drink to his lips and took a sip before his expression turned serious again.

«For what is worth, I recommended your name.»

Kuzan observed the flickering reflections on the liquid before gulping the shot in one quick motion.

«You know I was never interested in the position.»

«Yes. But you stepped up anyway.» Sengoku stood and walked to the wide window «I understand your situation better than you think.»

Aokiji observed him looking into the night, at the dark ocean resting placidly on the horizon.

«You know, sometimes...» Sengoku lingered, as if he was pondering the words in his mind «Sometimes I wonder, hadn't I been there at the time, if things could have gone better.»

«Why?»

The Fleet Admiral smiled.

«Because if I hadn't stepped up, maybe Garp would have.»

Aokiji remained silent as the other marine stared at the view for a while, then sighed and turned back to him.

«But you're not here to indulge in remote what if's. Why did you come to see me, Kuzan?»

Sengoku walked back to his seat and Aokiji emptied a second glass.

«The mission I was sent on when I returned with Y/n.» he said «If I don't come back from Punk Hazard, I would like for those files to be... lost.»

The Fleet Admiral smirked knowingly.

«Straight to the point, of course. Well, I shouldn't say this, but I inform you that those files were already lost years ago. I don't think anybody will be able to retrieve them, at this point.»

Kuzan blinked, surprised for a moment. Then a faint smile tugged at his lips.

«I see.»

He stood up and bowed his head in a quiet greet.

«I'll be taking my leave then. I've already wasted enough of your time. Thank you for the drink.»

He headed to the door but was stopped by Sengoku's call.

«Kuzan.»

The man waited for the other to glance at him before continuing, his face partially hidden behind his own intertwined fingers