3.Sigh, tough luck

Start from the beginning

I prayed for the Gods before squeezing my eyes and dropping his phone right onto the floor.

I heard a squeak and popped open one eye, only to see that Kael had managed to catch his phone that was inches away from the floor, his body almost losing balance as he did so. I let out a deep sigh of relief, thankful that he had saved his phone and my allowance from crashing.

I could not believe that I had to go to extreme lengths to help my best friend.

But all was well since Kael no longer had his hands on the bag Elio wanted.

"I owe you so much," whispered Elio into my ear before he swiftly disappeared with the bag, leaving me to fend for myself. I blocked the path Elio retreated to with my body.

Kael was inspecting his phone with wide, panicked eyes before he vented his spleen loudly, "What the hell were you thinking? How dare you drop it like that? Are you out of your goddamn mind!"

Say something before he realises that both Elio and the bag are gone!

"Sorry, you took too much time! But now, you can take the card from your phone!" I urged enthusiastically and the ugly sneer on Kael's face did not disappear as he extracted his SIM card and memory card from the phone.

"I am so done with today," he mumbled as he passed me his phone and pocketed his cards. My heart beat aloud in dread as he began to face the empty shelf, "Now, all I have to do is to buy-"

Oh no, he has seen it. He will cause chaos again! What will he do if he sees the bag gone?

But he had not cut himself off because he saw the empty shelf. Instead, Kael was looking at something behind me with a dazed expression, looking a little lost and confused with his lips parted in surprise. Kael pushed past me and started towards the exit, his eyes on something that was outside the glass walls of the store. 

I curiously followed him, wondering what was wrong and what had garnered his attention.

A giggling couple who was swaying their hands together was passing by the store and heading towards the escalator when Kael rushed behind them and took hold of the girl's hand.

What was he doing?

He spun the girl towards him rashly and they locked eyes. "Natalie?" Kael asked, looking pointedly at her hand that was entangled with her boyfriend.

The girl, Natalie, immediately let go of her boyfriend's hand and hesitantly gave out a broken chuckle, "K-Kael? W-What are you doing here? I thought that I sent you a text saying that we couldn't meet today?"

"I got your message but I couldn't read it since my phone broke at that exact moment. But that is not the problem. If you couldn't meet here today, why are you here and why are you holding hands with him?" Kael interrogated, his hands fisting and jaw clenching.

Oh, so this was the girlfriend he was waiting for?

The boy who was with Natalie stood slightly in front of her in caution, "I am her boyfriend. Who are you? Why are you harassing her?"

Kael let out a humourless scoff, "Is that so? As far as I know, I was her only boyfriend for four months and we were supposed to meet today. Looks like that is not the case."

The other boy looked down at Natalie who sported a freaked-out look, "Natty, what is going on? Did you not break it off with this guy? Maybe he did not get the hint?"

"Uhm...I-" Natalie trailed off, likely lost in making excuses.

Kael shook his head. "We were supposed to go on a date today and here you are, cheating on me with another guy!" He foamed at the mouth as he tried to get onto Natalie's face, his hair falling onto his face in distress, his expression begging her to deny all of it even though the truth was thrown at his face harshly.