02 ☆ red wine invitation

Začít od začátku

"Soobin, you don't have to," I shake my head, but he insists.

"Sora, it's okay. You can even keep everything," His charming smile never fails to convince me. Although Soobin is solely business, he's quite a romantic. His intentions are nothing more than friends, but I won't ask any less of someone like him to be relevant in my future. "So, what do you say? Would you like to be our special model?"

"No questions asked. Yes," I nod, making Soobin's dimple smile widen. "Just text me what time and where. I'll be there."

"Great!" Soobin exclaims, both of us standing up. "I'll have a lot of business partners and friends coming, some including people you might want to connect with. They're great designers, and I think that they'll need a model as good as you."

"I look forward to it," And moments later, he leaves. As I close the door behind him, I take a look around my office: A scale for my weight, a hanger of designer coats, fresh leather couches, and a wall of special things, like collaboration gifts and gold plaques. I walk back to my desk, seeing a space between my clock and computer. Something's obviously missing, but I haven't placed anything there. Should I fill the spot? Maybe... with a dog made of gold?

On that note, I remembered. Oh right! It's time to go shopping!

I wear my sunglasses high, holding six bags full of clothes, bags, and new shoes to wear across the city. My bodyguard follows close behind me, stone-faced and strict. My stomach grumbles, but to maintain my weight, I ignore it. Even then, it roars as we walk into another boutique, asking for mercy and a bite of something.

If I ate more than I already did that night when I came back from Italy, I think I'd be over the scale for modeling! All my brand deals would kill me, surely. If I care about how I present myself, they'd care about... triple that. Gaining weight would be the worst thing a model could do. "Ms. Kwon, welcome back! Our new collection drop just came in."

"Show me, please," We navigate to the back of the store, my eyes gazing around to see women already staring. My stomach tightens, not only out of hunger but also because of all the staring. I was doing nothing wrong, but having so many eyes on me outside of the usual setting scared me. As we arrived at a separate section of the store, numerous pairs of dresses, shirts, skirts, and shoes piqued my interest. I touch the shirt to my left–chiffon fabric. It was good for windy days, especially when the sleeve slips off the shoulder. Lilac colored... it would look good with black. The only con is that I'd have to find something to wear under. "I'll take this."

She hurriedly takes it off the display, holding it for me. I move over, looking at the sleeveless dress in front of me. It was a chic white with diamond studs down the middle. It would boost my worth simply wearing this out, but I owned too many dresses of the same kind that had prettier colors. Next.

I face myself to a pair of the prettiest heels, black and tied perfectly with a ribbon and star in the middle. I crouch down to look at it, feeling its material–leather. Thankfully, it wears no name of the brand anywhere but where my foot covers it (because if we're not ambassadors or partners, you shouldn't be giving out free money like that.) I pick them up, handing them to the attendant. "This too, please."

"Of course. I'll put these aside."

The rest of the hour passes by in the same store, finally getting to the bill with five other items besides the ones I previously chose. "Your bill comes out to be–" I don't let her finish, handing her my black card in response. She gulps, nodding as she politely takes it. Without a word, she swipes it, handing it back to me. The receipt is as big as the bag's height, and she quickly places it in. "Thank you for coming, Ms. Kwon. Please come back anytime."

"Thank you for your time," I look behind me briefly, seeing people taking photos of me before turning back around to avoid suspicion. I feel a sudden tap on my hip, startling me, but the moment I look down, I see a mother and her child. "Oh, hello."

"Miss Sora, can we take a photo together?" The little girl pulls on the hem of my skirt, smiling and giggling. "You're my inspiration."

"Your daughter looks up to you, and you want to make her into some cash cow? Is that what you want her to do with her life?" My father questions, hurt. Steam practically comes out of his ears as my mom sits silently at the dinner table, reading her magazine. "Why are you turning her into something she's not? Makeup? At twelve? Are you serious?"

"Since when did you care about my daughter? About what I did with her? When we divorced, I told you not to care about us," Mother grits her teeth, scoffing. "She's already a shining star. Why won't you just let it go!?"

"I'm not going to let my daughter get used to her face like you want. I'm not going to let my daughter be like you!"

"She's not your daughter!" My mother roars, erupting silence between them. I spy on them between the crevice of the door, frowning. "She's mine. My daughter. You don't get to say anything."

"How can she still look up to you?" My father replies seconds after. "How does she... even tolerate you?"

"Miss Sora?" I hear, bringing me back down to earth.

"Sorry about that, I suddenly got to thinking about something," I crouch down, holding the little girl's shoulder. "Of course, we can take a photo together. I'm honored... to be your inspiration."

Her grin rises upon her small and defined face, and she puts her arms around my neck as I pick her up. Her mom fumbles to grab her phone, nervous about what my reaction might be, but she finally gets it together. I lift the girl higher and turn her toward the phone, both of us smiling. "3, 2..."

The little girl suddenly pulls my cheek, making me smile even wider. As her mother takes the photo and notices, she widens her eyes. "A-Aera!"

"What?" Innocently, she goes back to her mom, hugging her leg. "I didn't do anything!"

"I'm sorry, Ms. Kwon."

"No need to apologize. You have a very cute daughter," I pinch the little girl's cheek, making her giggle. "Do you want to be a model one day?"

"Yes!" Poor girl. She doesn't know what this job entails for her. I hold together the grin on my face, hoping to keep my image clean. "I want to be like you!"

"Then, I can't wait for the day you shine."

I walk out, my bodyguard following behind me. "Let's leave early," I remain stoic as more cameras cover pairs of eyes. I clench the numerous shopping bags in my hands closer, listening to the sound of my Louboutins clacking against the floor. "I'm sick of being here already, and it's only been three hours."

"Yes ma'am," We steer ourselves ahead, looking for the nearest exit. Just before we make it out the door, my phone buzzes. My bodyguard leaves to get the car, so I grab it momentarily, taking a few steps out the mall doors before I read it.

'Come over before you go home tonight.'

Mother.

Of all the things I was to encounter today, this was the last one on my list. I grimace, throwing my phone back in my bag. My bodyguard drives up to me, opening the door to the van. As I get in, I place everything in the empty crevice next to me, closing the door with an automatic push of a button. Leaning back, I take off the sunglasses that held back a glare. "Quick detour," He hums, listening. "We're going to my mother's house."

"