3.5 - the scary forest

En başından başla

You nodded in thanks, still laughing. "I'mma moth! Natural camouflage and whatnot."

Shouji let out a relieved sigh. They continued on, and you and Kosei got back into position, but your antennae twitched. There was a strange smell in the air, burnt almost. It contrasted heavily with the mossy forest scent. It made you uneasy. You looked at Kosei, who still had a giddy smile on his face. It didn't seem like he smelled anything. "Kosei, do you smell that...?" you anxiously asked him.

His brows knitted together. "Smell what?"

"It's like... I don't know, it smells burnt, like a, uhhh, like a campfire?"

He took a deep inhale, and shook his head. "Isn't that, like, a sign for a stroke?" His eyes widened. "Don't die on me!!"

You fell limp against the tree, sticking your tongue out the side of your mouth, pretending to die. Kosei let out a hearty laugh. You bounced back to your alive state and smiled. You liked making others laugh. It was really... validating. "Bitch, I'm not having a stroke." You paused. "...I don't think I am? Did Shouto use his quirk, or something?" you wondered out loud. What if you are having a stroke? That'd be pretty bad, huh?

"That's the red and white guy, right?"

You hummed. "Hey, two more people are coming," you announced, getting ready again.

Like before, you dropped down and tried to look like a monster. You met Shouto's heterochromic eyes, and he simply took a step back and said, "Oh!" He was with Bakugou who froze and nearly clocked Kosei out of reflex.

The burnt smell seemed to get only stronger. You stopped mid-laugh. "Kosei-kun, I swear something's burning. Do you smell that?" you asked Shouto, your forehead wrinkled in concern. You dropped down from the tree. He sniffed the air and shook his head again.

Out of the blue, Kosei began to feel drowsy. "Wait, I can smell it now." He held a hand over his nose, and you did too. "Is this some sorta..." He forced his eyes to stay open. "Sleeping gas...?"

Shouto's eyes widened and he quickly clasped a hand over his lower face. Bakugou looked around. "Where the fuck is this coming from...?"

"Everyone!!!" You recognized Mandalay's voice in your head and you looked towards the others to confirm if they heard it. Shouto gave you a firm nod, and Kosei grasped one of your hands with his shaky fingers. "Two villains have invaded the area! It is possible there are still more lurking in the shadows!"

Your eyes widened. Fuck, your intuition was so right! That random ant-creep was probably a villain! Oh, my God, you swear, if it's the crappy fucking League of Villains again, then you are actually leaving UA. Tomb somehow manages to spoil every time you go out and have fun, and you were getting sick of it – and freaked out, of course, because how in the hell did he know you were here?

Wait, is this even about you? Would it be narcissistic to think it is? No, you think it's pretty plausible to think Tomb's here for you. Think about it: he thinks you're still in love with him, he's broken into your house at least twice, and he also ruined your day at the mall. The idea that he's attacking the camp because of you really isn't that far-fetched, but God, you hoped you were wrong. Man, you shouldn't have come in the first place.

"Those who are capable, immediately head to the facility! If you come face-to-face with the enemy, then do not, and I repeat, do not engage in combat!"

You began to run along the route, taking Kosei with you. He leaned against you, using you as support. His head felt like it would float off of his shoulders. You gestured for the others to follow you. You saw the dark clouds of smoke seeping through the foliage, and the smell of burning wood invaded your senses. Fuck. "We shouldn't be too far from–" you suddenly stopped in your tracks, hearing something thud against the dirt and a voice about fifteen meters ahead. There was an overwhelming smell of blood, and your antennae twitched. They immediately pulsed alive.