Chapter 6

Soldiers infiltrated Jericho, killing every android they found in their way. Connor was left with North, while Markus followed his new plan of wanting to blow up Jericho. "It's our only chance to escape", he had said, ignoring North's pleas and tries to stop him. He had sent out a message to everyone, so they knew they had to find the exits on the 2nd and 3rd floors so they could jump into the river and possibly survive. He was all the way down, trying to activate the explosives.

During that time, Connor, North and two other androids named Josh and Simon joined them in helping the other androids and moving everyone to the exits. And the entire time, he could only think about Y/N. If they were okay, if they were even alive. He hoped they were. That they didn't take them apart. He finally understood them. He finally realized what he saw in their eyes when they first met - emotions. Just like he had now. It was so new to him and so different from everything he knew before. He suddenly had control. Control and willpower to say "no" and not follow orders. Markus was right - he wanted to be free, just like the other androids. He couldn't go against his own kind. He was hoping to find Y/N, who was hopefully alive. Suddenly, there were so many things he wanted to tell them and ask them. Questions out of pure curiosity. How did they turn deviant? What happened before? Are they feeling the same emotions? Is there something they know that he doesn't yet know? He doesn't understand why they stood out so much more than others. He was literally surrounded by deviants, yet he only wanted to ask them those questions. His heart started to beat more rapidly as he thought about the android in the cell, waiting and waiting, wanting freedom just like everyone else.

Y/N didn't stop trying to get out of the room, despite knowing it had no use. Either the soldier on the other side was damn good at ignoring them, or he really couldn't even hear them scream and beg. It's not like he would care, but they thought he'd at least show a reaction. Something, anything, even just a 'shut up!'. But they received nothing. The anxiety and worry grew inside of them like fire in a forest. They wanted to leave, to escape, and to run away. Alone or with someone else, they didn't care, just out. It was a scary feeling. As they thought, their heart started beating more rapidly. They put a hand on their chest, their eyes widening. It's like their body suddenly moved to the beat of their robotic heart. They could hear it beating and feel their chest shaking.

They sat down on the ground, trying to calm down. But nothing worked. Tears welled up in their eyes, and some rolled down their cheeks. Crying. Y/N was crying. All those negative emotions bubbled up like a volcano that has now exploded. Everything seemed so useless all of a sudden. The wish for freedom suddenly seemed so far away. The next step on the ladder suddenly disappeared right in front of their eyes, leaving them gripping the air and falling down.

Hours later, Markus, the other four androids, and everyone else who had managed to escape Jericho in time were hiding in an old church. Jericho had exploded, taking down everything that was still inside. Everyone was scattered, dealing with their own emotional baggage. North shared her count of the people who escaped with Markus. While showing gratitude for his fast thinking and acting back on the ship, there was also evident pain in her voice for the people they had lost. Markus knew he had to take the next step; he needed to do something now; he needed to give his people new hope, even just a glimmer of it. So he stood up and stepped up on a little step. "Humans have decided to exterminate us. Our people are packed in camps right now, being destroyed." It was hard to speak of. To know that maybe he could've saved so many more innocent lives. "Time has come to make a choice. One that very well might determine the future of our people". He needed to decide.. and he did. "I know.. I know you're all angry. And I know you wanna fight back... But I assure you, violence is not the answer here". Yet that sentence was like a bomb dropped on many deviants listening. Yet they kept silent. "We are gonna tell them peacefully that we want justice. If there's any humanity in them, they'll listen. And if not, others will take our place and continue this fight. Are you ready to follow me?", Markus said, looking into the crowd. And the crowd answered him. They stepped forward, wanting to follow their leader, wanting to stand behind him and help him the way he had helped them.

In the meantime, Connor, back in his uniform, was on his way to the CyberLife Tower. They didn't know about his deviancy. They would let him in. Before he left the church, he and Markus talked about a new plan for Connor. He wanted to try and get the androids stored in the tower to fight with them. Markus knew this was basically suicide, but no one else could do that but Connor. And they needed more people. So Connor left. Now sitting in a taxi, being asked by a soldier who he was. They let him in, believing his words for being "expected". They knew who Connor was. They didn't ask anything else.

Stepping out of the vehicle and inside the building, 3 soldiers were waiting for him. "Follow me; We'll escort you", one of the soldiers demanded. That was bad. Real bad.. "Thanks.. but I know where to go", Connor answered, hoping they wouldn't follow him. But his hopes were for nothing. "Maybe, but I have my orders", the soldier said, before turning around and starting to walk. Connor and the other two are close behind. They made their way to the elevator. Guards were stationed everywhere, the place was one of the safest. Suddenly, he heard a scream. A familiar voice.

"Let me go!!", Y/N yelled at the two soldiers holding them by each arm. They tried to break free, to make them let go, but to no avail. Connor's eyes widened at the sight of them. He stopped in his tracks for a second before the soldier he was following ordered him to keep going. "There's nothing to see over there", he said, his voice harsh. Y/N didn't see them, and even if they did, they probably couldn't realize it was Connor, who was basically right beside them, just a few meters away. "What's happening over there..", Connor asked, following the guard. His heart breaking at the lack of help he could offer Y/N at the moment. "They're bringing them up to disassemble them". The words pierced through his heart like a spear. He was right there, yet so far away. He couldn't do anything because if he did, the guards would stop him in a matter of seconds. Then he and Y/N would be destroyed, and Markus would have to do the march with the few androids left. A cry for help was the last thing he heard from them before stepping into the elevator. He felt like he betrayed them in the most disgusting way possible.