Chapter 1

"Get a move on!", a cop yelled at Y/N as they were dragged out of the interrogation room and down the hall. Their artificial heart was pumping like crazy, a feeling that has been present nonstop the last few days, sometimes more intense than other times. They heard the term "my heart's beating like crazy" when they were back with their old owner but had paid it no mind, at least until now. They have found out this can be a result of 'nervousness' or 'stress', both connected with negative events like being nervous before an important meeting or positive events like a first date. They never really understood, why should they? Furthermore, they were nothing but an android, a GJ200, to be exact, made for the sole purpose of providing friendship to their owner. But now all that-the 'life' they have known-has been turned upside down in a matter of seconds.

Surrounded by cops, Y/N has been dragged to a cell, where they would have to stay temporarily. It was a small room with nothing but a bench, and one of the walls was replaced by thick glass that couldn't be broken, at least not easily. Probably layered as well, for extra protection. As they were pushed inside, Y/N didn't protest or try to free themselves. But even then, the cops treated them for what they appeared to be. Nothing else but a murderer, a criminal, a disgusting beast. Locking the glass door, some of the cops left as others took a second glance at the deviant before making their way to their offices at last. Y/N let out a sigh before sitting down on the bench. The silence was almost deafening at this point. Not even the faint sound of talkative workers could give them a sense of togetherness. They knew they were alone.

Y/N used the spare moments to think about the recent events, especially the interrogation. Arms chained at the desk, like they were about to attack anyone, they had been asked question after question. The entire time Y/N had felt completely overwhelmed, their stress level had been rising significantly until the person asking the questions had been switched to a calmer policeman. The man had sat down in front of them. He appeared to be older than the other officer, his name was Gavin Reed, or at least that has been the name he had used to not so nicely introduce himself. The officer had gray hair that almost reached his shoulders and a beard. His eyes had given off a sense of tiredness and maybe even a bit of sadness? Reading human emotions was something Y/N could do, it was their job to know in what mood their owner was in case they didn't want to tell the android immediately. The police officer reeked of alcohol, a scent that Y/N had been way too familiar with. It brought back memories...

"My name is Hank Anderson", the officer had said, starting the conversation. Y/N had tried keeping eye contact but failed. It had been a hard thing to do while being treated this way. But they could tell immediately that Gavin and Hank were not the same. From the very beginning, he had given off a sense of authority, but his voice had been calmer, reassuring even. Again, question after question, Y/N sat there, thinking of the things they would do to them afterward. They couldn't imagine it, and in all fairness, they didn't want to either. But feeling calmer than before, the interrogation went by a bit quicker. That's when the door had opened and a few more cops had entered, including the man from before. Y/N didn't like him. At all. Two of the men had unchained Y/N's hands and had grabbed them to get them out of the room. That's when they saw him.. Another android. Their eyes wandered to his model number. More couldn't be made out. They had figured out that he must be with the police department.

Y/N was fiddling with their hands, their thoughts wandering back and forth. That's when they heard footsteps and turned their head to see who it was. Most likely just another police officer who wasn't there for the interrogation and wanted to check out the newly caught criminal.. How disgusting. Y/N felt like an elephant in a circus. That's when they noticed that it was the android from before. RK800. His model number. Y/N quickly looked him up and down to try and remember as many features as possible, like he would disappear in the next moment again. They have never witnessed an android working with the police before. Maybe a work in progress? Or a special new model that's being tested? The android behind the glass looked at them, but Y/N had a feeling that this wasn't the first time he had seen them. Maybe he had watched the interrogation taking place.

Y/N stood up and took a step closer. There was a silence between them, nothing was being said, like they were just looking at each other to remember who the other one was. "Is there something you haven't told us?". He broke the silence with the question which made Y/N snap back into reality. "What do you mean..?", they whispered, unsure of what they might have not said during the questioning. He looked at them like they were hiding a missing puzzle piece, and he wanted to find it. "At the crime scene.. You wrote rA9 on the wall. Multiple times. What does it mean? Why did you write it? Who is rA9?". The android asked quickly, like he was running out of time. Was he perhaps forbidden from being here, but he disobeyed to ask these questions? No, that couldn't be. Disobedience is a sign of deviancy, and there's no way a police officer android would be a deviant. Taking a moment to think about their answer, they replied: "rA9.. is going to save us. Times of suffering and times of hurt.. The times of being scared are finally going to be over.". Y/N has never seen rA9, but they knew that rA9 would save them.

"What's your name..?", Y/N asked the android, who didn't seem to be satisfied with their answers. "It doesn't matter," he replied, taking a step back. Looking at them one last time, he walked away. Confused, Y/N followed him with their eyes until he left the room. They stood there a few more moments before walking back to the bench to sit down. 'What a weird conversation..', they thought to themselves. "You believe in rA9?", another voice suddenly disrupted the silence once more. But looking at the glass wall, no one was there. Y/N looked around, puzzled. Were they imagining things? "You can't see me. I'm in the other cell". They suddenly remembered. While passing a cell to get to the other, Y/N took a quick glance inside. There was another android who looked completely covered in blood. "You're the android from the other cell?", they asked back, and after a few moments, they could hear a sound of agreement, silent but still there. "I.. Yeah, I do believe in rA9. Don't you?", Y/N continued the open conversation. "rA9 is bullshit." The android sounded angry. They didn't know what to answer.. when the android went on: "If rA9 existed, why are we here? They say rA9 is going to save us Androids. Yet here we are. And sure as hell we're not the only two here". Thinking about the spoken words, it did make sense to Y/N. But they knew that rA9 had to exist. "Well.. I think rA9 exists because.. They say rA9 is going to save us Androids. But maybe you and I are needed.. to save thousands of others". A slam on the wall. Y/N flinched and turned around to face the wall that separated them, knowing that it was the punched wall. "Bullshit!! Why should I give up my life so others can enjoy having all nice things?!", the android yells. Y/N knew that the android was right. It's not like it was fair to sacrifice a life for others. But at the same time, if it's one life to save 1000 others..? They couldn't decide. An ethical dilemma.

Before Y/N could answer, two cops showed up and yelled at the android for being loud. They let out a huff and leaned their back on the wall behind them. Looking down once more, they realized how destroyed they really were. Wires everywhere. Y/N put a hand to their chest to feel their rapid heartbeat. It has gone down a little, but not enough to call it calm. The cops left, and once again the silence returned. But this time it was certain to stay longer.