Knife's Edge

Miradey walked down the forested paths of Swordstone, looking, as one might imagine, for a big rock. She passed rock after rock sitting amongst alcoves of trees, a sword proudly embedded in each one. Some were ensconced in the trees but she recognized each one by its pommel, hilt, and guard at a glance and a glimpse.

The swords belonged to Scarlet and Jade Knights of the past, either passed from this world, retired, or honored for their deeds. Hence, the forest was known as Swordstone or Sword in the Stone. She had hoped not to see herself here so soon in her young life but her time was nearing. Immanen would rest here.

But there would be no ceremony for Miradey. No recitation of her brave deeds. No ribbons and streamers decorating the trees. In her final act, there would be no honor save for that which she bestowed upon herself for doing the right and honorable thing. Miradey hoped as she walked on that someday her blade found another owner who would do deeds that brought it the honor it deserved.

She touched Immanen's hilt and considered again the method of her demise.

More accurately, Immanen didn't really have a hilt, pommel, or guard because it wasn't really a sword but a spike of enchanted metal. If it had to be compared to a sword, what served as the hilt and pommel was more like the tang of the weapon wrapped intricately in strips of ribbons and cloth that hung in long tails.

She would prefer no one come upon her this way but she also preferred to share the same fate as the cursed ones who had come before her. She wanted to meet her end knowing that her soul had been purified by Immanen's blade. It was only fitting that she fall on her own blade. As for her body, she wouldn't be found as she should be reduced to ash as one suffering under the curse and slain by an object strong enough to overcome it. The only thing she knew of that could do that was Immanen.

After walking for a time on a stretch of path that bore many stones but no swords in them, Miradey found a pointed stone in a little clearing. She nodded her approval as it would serve her purpose. She had left explicit instructions for the sword to be found and consigned to Swordstone. The only thing left to do nowwas to make Immanen ownerless.

Miradey found a forked tree near the stone. She jammed Immanen's end in the tightest space where the tree split. It looked solid. She positioned herself in front of it and felt forward.

She promptly fell into the tree in a painful collision as Immanen dropped to the ground. Rubbing a throbbing area on her torso, she glared at the sword on the ground. It was as if it had wiggled itself loose....

Trying again, she met with the same results. Again, when she used magic to balance the blade on the ground or fly it into her chest. All she managed was a good bruising from all her falls. Getting up from the ground after trying to angle it into her body with a forceful levitation spell, Miradey stamped her foot and growled at Immanen.

"You've killed everyone I knew yet you won't kill me? Hypocrite!" She cast another levitation spell upon the sword.

Immanen simply stopped responding to her spells after several more attempts, lying motionless in the low grass.

"Errgggh! You know this must be done!"

Immanen had no voice so it couldn't answer her. That made her even more frustrated.

"How can you deny me!"

Gripping her hair, she resisted the urge to kick the sword. It deserved more respect than that. The more she thought about it as she calmed down, Miradey realized that Immanen didn't just have a will of its own. Immanen bore memory. It remembered when she gripped tight and didn't let go even when her hand was getting sliced open on its razor sharpness. It remembered every soul she had ever slain to prevent the curse from spreading. It remembered her tears and her loneliness and every moment it had ever served at her side. It remembered everything about her.