Chapter 6

Jayden's POV

"What's this?" I asked Madelyn as I opened my office door, she was standing outside with a cup in her hands, and by looking at the packaging I would assume that it was coffee.

"An Iced latte, I thought that you might want a refresher to keep you awake. I heard that you've been in your office for a couple of hours now." I raised my brow at her. Well, that's sweet and surprising, coming from her.

         "Uh well, come in." I offered to stand back a little so she had space to walk inside. But she just shook her head. Well, that hurts.

         "No, I still need to go check on patients." She smiled. "I just thought you might want this."

        I took the latte from her hands, I prefer black coffee like all the boring, business-oriented people out there. But since Madelyn got this for me, I'll drink it.

       "That's nice, thank you." A gave her a small smile which she returned. Thank god there isn't a heart monitor connected to me, I would be exposed right in front of her.

       We stared at each other for a while until she broke eye contact. "Uh, I need to go." I nodded as she scurried away, probably going back to the ER. I mean, where else would she be going?

       And why do I feel disappointed when she's walking away? She has work, I can't keep her from that.

      "What are you even doing?" A voice walking over interrupted my thought, and sadly enough I know exactly who it is.

      "Hi Jonathan." I turned to him and smiled, sarcastically. How dare this man just walk up and start ruining my moment. "What brings you here today?" 

      He raised his hand that's carrying a couple files and waved it around, and before I could say anything, he already walked into my office and sat down in front of my desk. What in the world?

      Okay then, if this is how it is. I turned around and looked at him, and as I expected he was staring back at me as well. "Jonathan I swear, if you continue acting like this I'm going to tell your wife."

      "My wife?" He scoffed at what I said. "I should be talking to you about what she said, apparently you have a crush on a resident? A pretty and young one I assume?"

      "Okay, wait. I do think character is more important than what is on the outside, though she is very pretty I have to admit. But come on, you don't have to just assume that I'll always like someone who is pretty." I sat down at my desk after closing the door. Plus, is there even a real definition for pretty?

      "So you do have a crush!" He laughed and leaned forward. "Looks like Jamie was right."

      "Are you questioning your wife? Because I could definitely tell her that and start an argument for you." I smiled while his dropped.

      "Wow Jayden, we treated you like our own son while you were new here and this is how you repay us?" He shook his head in disappointment. I guess couples do actually become more alike the more time they spend together, because I could swear that Jamie told me the same thing not even two days ago.

     "Look, if you want to start talking about whatever case you have then you better start, because I want to go home on time." I leaned back and logged into my desk computer. 

     "You think I don't want to? I have a wife for god's sake." Why does it feel like he's implying something?

     "Bro, I swear to god if you don't--"

     "Okay, so I have this neurology patient, complicated problem. Take a look." He passed me the files.

     "They're pregnant." I looked up earning a nod. "Tumor, has high blood pressure, blood sugar and there's more on the list." I frowned. "And they're 50?"