𝐒𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐫

Start from the beginning

It was kind of quaint and homey—the polar opposite of Steve's house which was more spacious and cold. "You're home is nice. It feels cozy."

Billy clicked his tongue. "It would if my dick of a dad wasn't livin' with us." Billy gestured Steve over with his hand. "C'mere, sweetheart."

Steve's cheeks flushed as Billy wrapped one of his arms around his waist to tug him closer until their chests were pressing against each other. Billy hummed and nuzzled his nose in the crook of Steve's neck. "You always smell so damn good, princess. Been wantin' to get my hands on you all day. How're you feelin' today?"

Steve smiled and wrapped his arms around Billy's neck. "I'm okay. I am feeling a little tired. But that's probably because of the pregnancy."

Billy nodded as the two stepped into the living room. Steve blinked when he noticed the TV playing some kind of workout video and the metal barbell next to it. "I see you've been working out, huh? My big, strong alpha gotta keep in shape, hm?" He teased, running his index finger down Billy's bicep.

Billy simply grinned and flexed his arm a bit. "Damn straight. Gotta look good for my mate." He set the can of beer on the coffee table and pulled Steve into his arms again. Billy playfully rubbed his cheek against Steve's as if he were trying to mix their scents together.

"Ew, Billy!" Steve giggled. "You're sweaty and gross!"

"Mhm, don't act as if you don't like it, Bambi. C'mon, give me a kiss." Billy ran his tongue up Steve's neck, causing the omega to keen.

The young brunette cupped Billy's cheeks and planted a few tender kisses on his lips. "I love you."

Billy returned the kisses. "I love you too. Why don't I help you with dinner, yeah?"

Max stood in the doorway and scrunched up her nose. "Gross. You guys stink. I'm going to my room."

"Actually, Max. Why don't you pitch in and help us make dinner? C'mon, let's go." Billy gave her a look as if he wasn't taking no for an answer.

Max sighed deeply with another roll of her eyes. "Fine. But I'm only doing it to help Steve."

────── 〔♡〕──────

Dinner was filled with silence as no one really spoke. There were a few compliments from Billy and Max saying how good the food was and that Steve was a great cook. But other than that, nothing else was said. Steve had imagined their dinner would turn out a bit differently. Maybe more chatting and laughing and enjoying each other's presence.

When they were preparing and cooking the food, everything was fine. Steve and Billy cooked together with the help of Max and it seemed like they were all having a fun time. But now it felt awkward. For some reason, Steve recalled the conversation he had with Dustin yesterday when he was at work. Something about how Dustin intercepted a Russian communication on his Cerebro? He had thought about bringing that up but thought better of it. That wasn't really a great icebreaker.

Billy's coughing broke the silence. His eyes were closed and he released what sounded like a pained groan. Steve's eyes widened slightly. He wasn't choking, was he? "Billy, babe," Steve stood up and walked over to Billy's chair. He placed his hand on his shoulder. "Are you okay? You're not choking, are you? Because I know how to do the Heimlich!"

Billy shook his head. "I'm fine..." His grip on his knife and fork tightened but he was still coughing a bit.

Okay. Now Steve was beginning to get a little concerned. "Billy."

"I said I'm fine—" Billy growled as he swatted Steve's hand away, nearly cutting his palm with the knife.

Steve gasped and took a step back just in time for Billy to drop his utensils and abruptly leave the dinner table. Max's eyes widened. She was clearly just as shocked as Steve was. Steve's lips parted as he watched Billy disappear down the hall and into the bathroom as the door slammed shut. Once more, a tense silence filled the air.

What the hell was that? Steve swallowed the lump in his throat. He didn't even know what to make of that situation. Billy said he was fine, but he didn't look fine. He looked like he was in pain. But if he wasn't choking, then what was it? What was his problem? Steve frowned and slumped back in his seat. He rubbed his stomach, trying to calm his own nerves. Why did he feel like he had done something wrong?

"Steve..." Max frowned. Her eyes and expression were soft when she looked at him.

Steve released a shaky exhale. He felt like he could cry. "Did I do something wrong...?" Steve croaked out as tears brimmed his eyes. "I just...I just wanted to make a nice dinner...all I wanted was to spend time with you guys..."

"Steve...it's not your fault. You didn't do anything wrong. Honestly..." Max trailed off and bit her lip before she continued. "Billy has been...he's been acting weird lately."

Steve furrowed his brows in confusion. "What...what do you mean?"

"Well...I don't know. Sometimes, he gets really mad...or sometimes he'll be really quiet. It's just weird. Before I went to bed last night, I saw him sitting on his bed just staring at the wall. Billy's never done that before. He doesn't just sit there and...I don't know, stare at nothing?"

Steve looked at Max with the same perplexed look. How odd. The many times he and Billy spent together, Steve never really noticed anything. Billy always acted the same way as he usually does. Like today, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. What exactly was going on? Why was his alpha acting this way?