𝐖𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮?

Hey guys! Look who's back once again after a semi-long hiatus lol at this point you guys' probably aren't even surprised anymore that I keep disappearing. I've been super slow with the updates, but sometimes you just don't feel like writing or lack the energy to do so. Sometimes I'll stare at my computer screen, knowing that I SHOULD update this fanfic, but then I'm like meh 🤷🏻 anyway! s2 is now over and it's onto s3! Happy reading! ❤️

The bustling food court is filled with the aroma of freshly baked goods and the sound of chatter. Starcourt. A newly-built mall that just had its grand opening a few weeks ago. It was the new hot spot in town and everyone was buzzed about it. With two floors, almost every store you could think of was in Starcourt. People of all ages were visiting, eager to explore the mall. The atmosphere was electric and filled with excitement. Everyone was looking forward to shopping and enjoying summer.

Well, all except Steve who was sporting a sailor uniform with a slightly annoyed look on his face. It's been about a year since the incident with the demo dogs, the gate, and Hawkins Lab (which has now been shut down). After graduating high school, he planned to go to college, but unfortunately, that didn't work out since his father tore his application saying he was "too stupid for college," or that Steve "has no future." Yada, yada, yada. It was always the same old speech about how much of a useless omega he was.

And that he wasn't going to get anywhere. Yes, they did find out that he is mated and that argument with his parents didn't exactly end well. Apparently, his father demanded he break his bond with Billy and that Steve shouldn't be with someone who's from a low-class family and that they're trash compared to the Harrington's. And he certainly didn't like that his only son was queer. Steve wasn't taking shit from them anymore and lashed back with a few words of his own (which ended up with him almost getting a black eye and a few bruises on his face).

But he'd rather deal with that than destroy his bond with his mate. Because there was no way in hell he'd let that happen. So now, here he is—forced to work at an ice cream parlor and making $3 an hour. But hey, at least he got to meet Robin and the two instantly hit it off. Steve would have been in a great mood if it wasn't for the fatigue, random food cravings he's been having, unpredictable mood swings, and morning sickness. That's right. He's pregnant—about 8 weeks into his first trimester. Of course, he was excited and content.

He always wanted to have a child and he always wanted to have a family. So, when he had his heat and Billy had his rut, he figured it was the perfect time to start trying for a baby. The moment he first found out that he was pregnant, he was extremely overwhelmed with joy and shed a bunch of happy tears when he shared the news with his alpha. Billy was a bit surprised, but happy and proud nonetheless that his omega was going to be carrying his pup. Steve tried to keep himself busy as he washed the metal scoopers and utensils in the sink in the backroom when he perked up at the sound of Robin's voice. "Hey, dingus, your children are here!"

Again? How many times has this been? Steve huffed, wiped his hands on his apron, and slid the windows open when he spotted Mike, Lucas, Will, and Max all staring at him. "Again? Seriously?" Steve couldn't help but roll his eyes as he opened the back 'employees only' door so they could sneak into the movie theater. "Come on, come on. I swear if anybody hears about this—"

"We're all dead!" They shouted in unison.

Well, at least they knew. Steve placed a hand on his hip as he watched them walk down the corridor. One of these days, those kids were gonna be the death of him. He stepped back into the backroom of the parlor and groaned. He rubbed his stomach in soothing circles as Robin walked in. "Still feeling sick?"

Steve plopped down on a chair, hoping it would ease the pressure off his feet. "No, I feel so amazing right now..." He trailed off and gave her a look. "Yes, I still feel sick! I feel like I wanna cry and scream and vomit all at the same time..."

Robin's brows lifted as she raised her hands up in defense. "Okay, no need to get bitchy, I was just asking."

Steve sighed with a shake of his head as his shoulders sagged. "Sorry, I just...it's been a rough morning. I barely got any sleep, and...then my morning sickness kicked in. Ugh..." Steve tossed his scoops ahoy hat on the table.

Robin nodded her head slowly and moved to sit across from him. "Well, I would say that I feel your pain, but...I don't, so...look, just take a break. Kick your feet up and try to relax. I'll take care of any customers, okay? But you owe me."

Steve blinked at her with a dumbfounded expression. "Are you serious, Robin? I'm pregnant! What more do you want from me?!"

"So...? That's no excuse. Besides...you being pregnant is on you, dingus." Robin gave a nonchalant shrug of her shoulders.

Steve exhaled through his nose as he narrowed his eyes at his best friend. "I hate you."

Robin chuckled and stood up as the bell rang from the front counter. "Aww, I love you too, dingus." She flashed a playful smirk before heading out of the backroom.

Steve puffed his cheeks and glanced at his watch. Great. He still had four hours left until his shift ended. But the good thing is that Billy agreed to come over, so they could spend more time together. Steve had planned for them to watch a nice, lighthearted rom-com. He always loved when his alpha would come over and stay the night with him. Sometimes, Billy would stay for a few days (maybe a week if his father didn't go ballistic).

But at least they were able to see each other every day before they both headed to work. Billy worked at the Hawkins community pool. Funny enough, Steve actually applied to work there at the start of summer, but apparently, they chose Billy instead. At first, he was a bit upset that he wouldn't be able to work with his alpha. But when he thought about it, maybe all that swimming wasn't necessarily good for his stomach—it'd probably make him feel even more nauseous.

────── 〔♡〕──────

Steve chewed on the inside of his top lip when he stared at the clock on the living room wall. He glanced between his watch and the clock. Where was he? Billy was supposed to be here 10 minutes ago and he still hasn't shown up. Maybe he got hung up somewhere? Maybe something happened at home? But he would have called ahead of time if something did happen. Steve sighed as he stared at the TV screen. He had already picked out the rom-com and left it on pause—the only question is: where the hell is his alpha?

Steve stood up from the sofa and walked into the kitchen. Maybe he'll call and see what's going on. But what if Neil answered instead? There was no way Steve would wanna talk with that piece of shit. "C'mon...where are you, Billy?" Steve frowned as he began to pace in the kitchen. He didn't want to start the movie. The whole point was watching it together with his mate. He knew that Billy wouldn't ditch him or leave him hanging. Maybe he'd wait a little bit longer before calling.

Steve decided to make himself a snack by cutting some apple slices and dipping them in peanut butter as he waited. And waited. And waited. "Seriously?!" He grumbled and checked his watch again. An hour had passed and still no Billy. What. The. Actual. Fuck. Steve felt beyond irritated as he plopped back on the sofa with his tray of apple slices and peanut butter. He stared at the TV remote and then back at the screen. Fuck it. He'll just watch the movie by himself.

Pressing play, Steve watched the opening credits of Sixteen Candles, but he found himself not focusing on the movie. He was still thinking about where the hell Billy could be. A part of him kept telling himself that Billy wouldn't ditch him. But another part of him wondered if Billy really did ditch him. The young omega frowned and looked down at his tray. He lost his appetite as he set the tray on the coffee table and lay down on the sofa. He huddled into the blanket with a lonely whine and slowly drifted to sleep.