Fight (Sungho)(6)

Monday

Sungho's POV:

I choose a soft blue watercolor with my damp brush and paint over all of my sketch. The almost transparent color becomes my undertone for the painting. My eyes still wander over to the window despite my efforts to stay concentrated, and I wonder when Hyerin will arrive.

Saturday's afternoon still lingers in my mind as my mind replays the hug for the millionth time. Hyerin is usually so composed and collected, but sometimes, there are moments of her that slip through. Like her pajamas. I smile at the thought.

But the words she told me, about being scared to hope, made me see a different side of her. The vulnerable side that she tries to keep hidden from everyone. When I saw her expression full of despair and shame, I hesitated for a second, wondering how I should comfort her. But one thought overpowered the rest.

It's okay to feel those emotions. It's okay to let people in.

Then, I hugged her.

For a second, I was worried that I went too far. I was tense, ready to spring back the moment she signaled me to. But then she leaned into the hug, and all of my fears melted away.

I hope she feels the same. I hope she feels everything she needs to feel. I hope she feels that I like this side of her, and all of her other sides too.

We stayed like that for a while, in comfortable silence.

Finally, she pulled back and gave me the prettiest smile I've seen. Oh wow... I felt my heart grow warmer, and I wanted to keep admiring her, but I held myself back.

Ding dong!

I perk up immediately and practically race to the door, letting her enter. Hyerin walks past me, and I smell a hint of perfume. It's nice.

"Okay, so I only have a week left before the deadline, so we need to brainstorm ideas on what I'm going to submit," Hyerin begins as she opens her sketchbook to a specific spread.

"I was thinking about drawing a memory from my childhood, one with my mom." She shows me a brief thumbnail of herself and her mom on one side of a mirror while she stands alone on the other side of the reflection.

I remain quiet for a moment. A moment too long. "Do you not like it?" Hyerin asks hesitantly. I organize my thoughts quickly before I speak.

"It's not bad, concept-wise, since it shows the passage of time and the emotions you feel regarding your mother," I say quickly before I continue.

"But it may be a difficult piece as a beginner since it requires perspective and studies on light. Something like that could take months or weeks to execute properly," I finish honestly.

Hyerin stays silent, then she shakes her head. "No, I know that I can do this. This is the piece I want to submit," She insists, and I shrug.

"Are you sure you don't want to pick an easier concept? I don't want you to become overwhelmed."

Even now, with years of drawing experience, I still get stumped or depressed over an artwork. I vividly remember that it was so easy to get discouraged as a beginner. I don't want Hyerin to experience that. Not yet at least.

"Just trust me, I can make a good artwork out of this," She says with confidence, and I find it hard to say no.

"Okay, let's go ahead with this idea then." Even as the words come out of my mouth, I feel a sinking feeling in my stomach. I try to shake the feeling away.