Fire [Elements VII]

Start from the beginning

The newcomer rubbed his head in pain. He then glanced at me. "...It's Kai."

"Nice to meet you, Kai," As much as he was rude, I wanted to try to be nice to him. "I'm (Y/n)."

"Can I get back to figuring this out, now?" Kai turned to my father. "I've got a sister to save."

"A sister?" I asked.

Kai, though, was already running back to the training course. He ran for only a few seconds before he tripped and fell off of the course.

I turned to my father. "What's going on?"

My father waved me along, and I followed him into the monastery. "The Skulkin have taken Kai's sister," My father began. "I did what I could to help, though the Skulkin are much more organised than before. Now, I must help Kai reach what potential he can in such a short amount of time."

"Short amount of time?" I repeated. "Is something going to happen?"

My father quietly nodded. "I am certain I will tell everyone, soon. Until then, we must take our time."

I let out a sigh. As much as it might be annoying to my father to repeat the story multiple times, I wanted to know. I wanted to see what I could try and do to help.

Though with how Kai reacted to my appearance, he probably won't accept my help anytime soon.

"...Has Kai eaten lunch, yet?" I quietly asked.

My father looked surprised. "Why do you ask?"

"I... thought I would ask." I wanted to say that I didn't want to cook since I'm sick, though not only do my illnesses not transfer to others, but my father would probably be even more worried than he already is. I couldn't get Kai sick even if I tried.

It was still a bit gross, though.

"I wouldn't believe he has," My father mentioned. He then pointed his staff at me, "Though I believe you aren't asking simply because. Perhaps someone doesn't wish to share an illness?"

I was caught red-handed. I let out a sigh. "No, I don't."

My father chuckled. "Get some rest, my child. I would hate to see you hurt again so soon."

I offered a small nod, and my father soon went back outside. I stopped by the kitchen to grab a large glass of water before heading to my room.

My father was getting better at not worrying over my health, but I was still concerned sometimes. If we were going to head out on an adventure soon, I didn't want my father to tell me to stay home for however long they were going to be gone.

I wanted to help. I can help, but sometimes people don't think I can. A downside to being so different.

I set the glass on my nightstand before dropping into bed.  There wasn't much I could do but rest. I lied back and stared at the ceiling. Maybe a bit of sleep would be fine.

Then, I heard the shouting.

I rose out of bed, tired and feeling worse. I slowly made my way to the courtyard.

"Stop!" I heard my father call. "That's enough. You three are back earlier than expected."

"With three of us on the hunt, we got it all done pronto!" I heard Jay confidently state.

I pulled the door aside and stepped outside. Kai and my father stood close-by. Zane, Cole, and Jay stood just a bit further.

I approached.

Jay offered a wave. "Hi, (Y/n)!"

Kai suddenly whipped around, and he raised his katana and pointed it at me.