Dust [Elements VI]

// stitches and also a bit of trauma-dumping
shouldn't be often in this book

~

At some point during the night, I went out to lie down on the monastery's main deck.

I was feeling good. Cole was doing his best to get over his fear, and I couldn't ask for anything more out of him. I was proud of him, and I was glad that I wouldn't have to deal with another hateful person.

Still, I couldn't sleep. I was sore and tired, but I couldn't sleep.

All I had outside was a pillow. It wasn't too cold outside, and though the wood beneath me was stiff, it was nice.

Eventually, I managed to fall asleep. I woke up to the sun slowly rising.

I got up and heading back to my room, pillow in hand. As much as I wanted to keep sleeping, I wouldn't be getting much. Someone was bound to wake me up early for breakfast.

Now that I think about it, I should make breakfast. I haven't cooked since I made that soup before Cole arrived.

I left my room and headed to the kitchen. I searched around and tried to think of what sounded good, this morning.

Eggs, bread, milk and cream... I thought about simply frying eggs and toasting bread, though I wasn't too sure if that was boring. Jay was certain to be excited either way. He constantly complimented my cooking, no matter how basic it was.

Still, I wanted to make something new. I eventually pulled out my recipe book and flipped around. I soon settled on a specific dish and began setting up.

I mixed eggs, milk, and cream in a bowl together. I added a bit of salt before setting the mixture aside and grabbing a pan. I set it on the stove and turned up the heat before grabbing the bread.

I threw a bit of butter on the pan before grabbing the first slice of bread. I set it into the mixture to soak before carefully taking it out and setting it on the hot pan. I prepared two more before focusing on the pan.

I cooked until the bread looked golden-brown. I plated the three onto a large plate. I prepared three more, and I kept cooking until I ran out of batter.

The large plate beside me held thirteen egg-bread.

I held back a small laugh. I still wasn't sure what to call this dish.

I held back a yawn as I got myself a plate. I grabbed the small bottle of syrup in the fridge before heading to the dining room.

I stopped at the sight of Zane at the table.

"Oh, good morning," Zane spoke.

"Good morning," I replied. "I made breakfast. You can go get some."

"What did you make today?"

I offered a hesitant shrug. "I don't... have a name for it," I said. "Egg, bread, milk... It's good for breakfast, I think. And you could put any fruits you'd like on top."

Zane offered a nod and a smile. "Thank you, (Y/n)." He stood up from the table and went to get himself a serving.

I sat beside where Zane once was and began eating. It wasn't long until both Cole and Jay had entered the kitchen, and I could hear the three ninja talking amongst themselves.

"Woah!" Jay started the conversation. "What's this?"

"I am not sure," Zane replied. "(Y/n) hasn't named it yet."

"Well, we gotta make a name for it!" Jay exclaimed. "What's it made of?"

"Egg, bread, and milk," Zane said.