Chapter 27: Cassie

Start from the beginning

     "Oh trust me, you'll get it," he replies grinning, "I've had some thoughts on how we could celebrate the championship."

     "I have too," I reply coyly.

     "Really, care to share."

     "No. You'll just have to win to find out."

     "And if we don't win?"

     "You will."

     He makes eye contact with me, looking deeply sincere, "Thank you."

     "For what? Stating a fact," I reply keeping my tone light. I might not know shit about hockey, but I know that there's no way anyone else is working as hard as my man is to win this game. I don't think he's thought about anything other than hockey and these games in weeks. He's watched more play footage than I knew existed, and spent more time working out than I thought possible. While nothing is for sure, they've got this. I know they do.

     He walks me to class, and we say goodbye, knowing we'll probably just be talking through Facetime and text until after the championship games are over. I've been watching as many of the games as I can online, and I know they're having a watch party in the gym here for the next two games. I'll be going, but I'm not great at watching hockey. If Hayden's on the ice I just spend the entire time watching him and have no idea where the puck is otherwise. I wouldn't change a thing about it though, except maybe having the camera follow him the whole time, nobody else would probably like that though.

     He texts me when they land in St. Louis, and even though their first game isn't for another day, and I'm in lab I get nervous and excited all at once. I can't imagine how the team must feel if I'm getting intense about it. It's silly, but seeing Hayden work so hard for this makes me feel like I've got some sort of stake in it all, and I guess in a way I do.

     "Girl, you look stressed," Reva says to me as she walks into the lab, I think she just got out of class, "Is it MIT? Have they still not released their decisions?"

     "Ugh no don't remind me, I've been saying it's any day now for weeks," I respond, "I'm just thinking about Hayden and how big this game is for him."

     "Oh right the big hockey thing is this weekend," she replies. Reva knows about as much about hockey as I do, probably less actually since she's not dating a hockey boy.

     "Yeah, they just landed in St. Louis for it. I wish the game was here so I could go watch, it's so much more stressful watching it on TV."

     "Girl please, you just want to be able to stare at Hayden the whole time, and that's easier in person," she says as she sits down at the computer next to me and starts working.

     "Okay true, but can you blame me?"

     "Not at all, those boys at your Thanksgiving thing were so fine. It's a crime that more Indian boys don't play hockey."

     "That one really good soccer player is Indian right, I feel like I've seen posters of him around campus."

     "Oh yeah, Amit. He's gone to a few ISA meetings, but I think he has a boyfriend besides hockey is objectively a hotter sport."

     "Agreed, hockey is a really hot sport, but I might just think that because I'm dating a hockey player."

     "Oh no, hockey is one of the hottest sports. My roommate and I got high and debated it a few weekends ago and were stuck between hockey and basketball being the hottest sports someone can play."

     "Oh yeah basketball guys can be cute, they're almost too tall though. I mean I'm like 5'7 and I feel like I'd still look too short next to them."