02

[ Already gone ]
_____

Mitsuya felt like he was being watched. His gaze was drawn to the trees lining the shrine but it was too dark to make out anything out of the ordinary. He squinted his eyes trying to see better.

"What are you looking at?" Hakkai, Mitsuya's right hand man, asked in a whisper.

Mitsuya shook his head, at the same time shaking off the feeling of being watched. He must've been imagining it. "Nothing."

Some of the guys were already leaving. Mikey had stepped down from his place at the top of the stairs. Toman was going to war against Mobeius. Pah had wanted it. Hell, they'd all wanted it after what Moebius had done.

Mitsuya was about to get on his bike to when he felt the tingling on the back of his neck again like someone was watching him.

He kept his head on a swivel while walking to Mikey and Draken.

"Someone's here," Mitsuya said.

He wondered if Moebius had sent someone to spy on them but that wasn't the gang's MO. They weren't smart enough for that.

The leaves next to them rustled and Mitsuya pounced.

ʚїɞ ~ ʚїɞ ~ ʚїɞ

On my way back to Emma and Hina I made a huge mistake. My foot caught on a root and I had to steady myself against the trunk of that tree. Holding my breath with my eyes squeezed shut, I hid behind the tree, hoping no one had heard the noise.

Before I even realized what was happening, my back hit the ground, sharp rocks and roots pressing into me, a solid weight holding me in place. The wind was knocked out of me and my eyes flew open.

The world slowed to a stop, as I got lost in the eyes staring back at me—lavender, with the tiniest flecks of silver in them.

A cough from someone nearby woke me from my trance.

Flustered, I tried to push the guy off of me but he didn't move. His lips were slightly parted and he was looking at me like he couldn't quite figure out what he was supposed to do.

"Mitsuya, what the hell?" Mikey asked, his arms crossed.

Mikey and Draken were staring at us, their brows furrowed and mouths pressed into thin lines.

"She's been spying on us," the guy still on top of me, Mitsuya, said.

His expression went from curious wonder to accusatory in a split second.

"She even has a camera!" he pointed out.

My camera!

I reached for it but Mitsuya pressed a hand over my wrist before I could get it. I was starting to panic.

What if he broke my camera?

I couldn't afford a new one. And all the memories I had captured with that camera would be gone.

"Get off me," I ordered.

He didn't budge.

"Let her up, for crying out loud," Draken said.

Reluctantly, Mitsuya got to his feet. He offered me a hand to help me up but I lunged for my camera instead. I'd dropped it when he'd tackled me.

Please don't be broken. Please don't be broken. Please. Please. Please.

I turned the camera in my hands over and over. The lens was intact, and so were all the other parts. I let out a relieved breath.

Then I turned to the guy who'd jumped me like I was some kind of criminal.